BMW Werkz banner

Help!! Bmw 318ti electrical issue?!? Any ideas?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bimmer 1991 
#1 ·
Completely new to this site and need some help with an issue that has arisen with my 2004 bmw 318ti se compact. The vehicle initially cut out the other day as i was driving home from work, the vehicle was given a jump start and i made it home. I was advised given the age of the vehicle it needed a new battery. Which i replaced. This then meant the vehicle ran fine most of the day, then the same issues arose but i found that by leaving it turned off for a few minutes it would eventually come to life for an uncertain amount of time.

I have no idea anymore, im told it could now be the alternator?

Any ideas would be much appreciated !! :)

Rob

#2 ·
Welcome to the Werkz

Get the alternator checked, but also check for bad earth connections, or possibly a tired fuel pump. Does it stop dead or slowly loose power and then die?
Do the headlight brighten and fade with the level of the RPM?

#3 ·
Hi brettski, thanks for your reply.

The vehicle does has on all occasions slowly lost power as opposed to it shuddering to a stop. In regards to interior lights and headlights, im not sure if they flickered at all.

Im just not sure how to approach it, id really not rather take it
To a dealer and they wi charge me 80quid just
To stick in the diagnostic machine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.