HELP!! Advice/opinion sorely needed! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
HELP!! Advice/opinion sorely needed!

I purchased a new 2011 BMW 328i on Saturday April 30th. The car is just beautiful with the gray metallic color, and came with the premium package but without the sports package. Also had the 17" wheels although I would have preferred the 16" but was told those only came in cars with navigation earlier in the model year, and that they were no standard with the premium package.

I wanted the car more for its reported intuitive steering and handling, and the great appearance and reputation of the vehicle, and the fantastic amenities including navigation (love the i drive system).

My problem is that I find the car too "tight", especially when in heavy traffic with frequent stop and go driving. A couple times now I have gotten motion sickness for an extened period after driving the car home. Will the suspension loosen up over time, or any hints to make the ride easier?

I previously had tww RX7 cars (1981, 1987) and then a Camry for 12 years. Alternatively, will I get used to the feel of the car? Anyone had this experience themselves of know of others who have had this experience?

Would changing to the 16" wheels and slightly higher profile tires help (believe only amounts to another inch of sidewall; tires now are 225/45/17, and 16" tires are 205/55/16)? But even if helped would be very expensive to change.

Opinions greatly appreciated! I would hate to take the financial hit to sell the car.

Last edited by JeffZX; 05-11-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The suspension will loosen up a bit, and yeah, the 16's with taller profile would help.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
I'd expect that you will get the feel for the car, and start to learn to drive it so that its more comfortable for you, maybe take it for a good long (non freeway) run over a long weekend to let everything settle in and start working as it is supposed to. If nothing else it will be a great experience.

Riding in style
#4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info and encouragement! Any tips on how to learn to drive the car so it is more comfortable in traffic? I find that in heavy traffic it can be jarrinb because the tires feel like they have a great deal of roll resistance; i.e., when I take my foot off the gas the car slows to a stop very quickly; then when I apply the gas the shifting is a bit jarring also. Thanks!
#5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Check that the tyre pressure is correct, maybe bump it up 5psi and see if that makes any difference. Also check that each wheel can rotate relatively easily, it means jacking each wheel in turn, and having it in neutral (handbrake off), so chock the wheels before you start jacking.

Riding in style
#6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
I would take it back and ask why the car makes you unhappy first !
Having said that, you should have had a real good test drive to find out if it suits you...

The car itself is so new that it MUST have different settings for ride comfort anyway, try fiddling with the ride/suspension settings before you start to hate it.
DAZ

Last edited by Jack Dabsy; 05-13-2011 at 03:26 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:59 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
I would take it back and ask why the car makes you unhappy first !
Having said that, you should have had a real good test drive to find out if it suits you...

The car itself is so new that it MUST have different settings for ride comfort anyway, try fiddling with the ride/suspension settings before you start to hate it.
DAZ
What type of ride/suspension settings exist? Thanks!
#8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Garage
If your model has the Run Flat Tyres then get rid of them, they are crap and overpriced for what they do !!!
They provide a harsher ride- go for a lower size rim with the slighter higher tyre wall = smoother ride
#9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
If your model has the Run Flat Tyres then get rid of them, they are crap and overpriced for what they do !!!
They provide a harsher ride- go for a lower size rim with the slighter higher tyre wall = smoother ride
Appreciate the advice. Do you have a tire size (Pxxx/xxRxx) and preferred brand that would provide a smoother ride yet still be compatible with the vehicle? Thanks.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 AM
42, The meaning of life

Have a fiddle around with Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
for seeing what smaller sizes matchup to your current rolling diameter.

Riding in style
#11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
Have a fiddle around with Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
for seeing what smaller sizes matchup to your current rolling diameter.
Consumer Reports tested the 2011 328i with these tires:

Bridgestone Turanza EL42, size 205/55R16 91H

and reported: "The 3 Series has agile handling and a firm yet supple and controlled ride."

Would these tires provide a significant difference in the ride compared to the now standard Continental ContiProContact SSR, size 225/45R17 91H?

Appreciate the replies as I am still getting motion sickness with the vehicle, which I usually don't notice until I get out of the vehicle; otherwise, the car is top notch and innovative, but if I can not get over the motion issue I will have to seriously consider whether to keep the vehicle...and don't want this to happen because the car is otherwise great, and I don't want to take that big financial hit!

Last edited by JeffZX; 05-17-2011 at 03:21 AM.
#12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 AM
42, The meaning of life

They will reduce the amount of bump you feel from narrower tyres and more "impact absorbing" side walls, but I don't know that its the vibration that is getting you. It may be possible for the dealership to fit some smaller wheels for you to test for a day from a traded car, but I think that the problem lies in the car being factory tight, and the traffic that you drive in highlighting the tight drivetrain.

Have you had it out on the open road yet, and if so, did you still have the same motion sickness issues?

I'd liken the issue to driving a manual car in one gear in traffic, your either taking off or stopping, not some much just coasting smoothly. Is this what you are experiencing?

Just a wacky idea, is there any chance you are getting exhaust fumes leaking into the car?

Riding in style
#13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Garage
Exhaust fumes inside the car from a 2011 model would be suspicious, Brettski !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
They will reduce the amount of bump you feel from narrower tyres and more "impact absorbing" side walls, but I don't know that its the vibration that is getting you. It may be possible for the dealership to fit some smaller wheels for you to test for a day from a traded car, but I think that the problem lies in the car being factory tight, and the traffic that you drive in highlighting the tight drivetrain.

Have you had it out on the open road yet, and if so, did you still have the same motion sickness issues?

I'd liken the issue to driving a manual car in one gear in traffic, your either taking off or stopping, not some much just coasting smoothly. Is this what you are experiencing?

Just a wacky idea, is there any chance you are getting exhaust fumes leaking into the car?
"your either taking off or stopping, not some much just coasting smoothly. Is this what you are experiencing?"

Exactly! I'm experiencing a lot of roll resistance with the car, more so at slow speeds. Wondering if I will adapt to that, or whether the car will "loosen" up, or whether changing to a higher profile tire will help (perhaps it's not the profile but the run flat component of the tire; I have read where others have complained about the harsh ride due to the run flat tires). Any ideas very appreciated! Thanks.
#15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM
42, The meaning of life

The idea of exhaust fumes was only an after thought given that you feel it when you get out of the car.

I would expect that given the stiffer sidewalls on RunFlat tyres, the rolling resistance would be reduced (due to less sidewall flexing) The harshness is most likely due to the reduced shock absorbtion by the sidewall, so you feel the bump and rough surface of the road. My gut feel is that the car needs to run in and loosen up a bit before you'll get away from this sensation.

If you do a trip of constant speed, I'd guess that you don't feel the nausea, so I'd suggest that you either take your car for a long highway run over a weekend, and see if that reduces the sensation in traffic.

Riding in style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)