BMW Werkz banner

HELP!! 03 325xi transmission fluid check

18K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  daytonatrbo 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm trying to check the transmission fluid level on my XI.

I've located possible fill 2 plugs on the (GM) transmission. Neither of them match the descriptions I've read about on any of the forums.

They are both just above the top of the pan, in the cast aluminum body of the transmission. One has a shallow 17mm (or so) hex head, the other has a Torx style socket head.

The hex head is near the rear of the transmission on the passenger (right) side of the car, the other its near the front of the pan on the drivers (left) side of the car.

Front plug:

Rear plug:

I just opened the "rear" plug with the engine running and the transmission up to temp in park and fluid just started blowing out of it. I haven't opened the other plug yet.

Can anyone tell me which one I should be using????

Thank you!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Which ever one is higher is the fill/check plug. The fluid level should be to the hieght of the top plug.

Having it warmed up is how you check the level, but I personally like to leave the engine off when im working on the car.

#4 ·
#6 · (Edited)
While I appreciate the input, you are clearly ignorant on the topic. I finally found the Bentley manual and the plug I was using is the correct one. The car must be running in neutral during the fluid check. The transmission must reach just the right temperature (85-120F) in order for the level to be accurate.

To anyone looking to this thread for advice, it is the hex head plug near the shift cable on the right side near the rear of the pan.

#7 · (Edited)
you are clearly ignorant on the topic.
Not ignorant, misunderstood/read the question.

Whilst re-reading the post, I assume you do not have a dipstick to check your oil from under the bonnet (Excuse MY ignorance, I only ever had older BMWs). Your BMW would be fitted with a transmission not built to be tampered with by the layman and probably comes with one of those life time guarantee service-less jobbies yada yada. I would not check that whilst the engine is running yet I would allow time for the engine to warm up first. Also to check the oil level from the 'plug' your advised to stick your finger in the hole and if the engine is running, I don't fancy doing that much so. Well, I can think of things I would rather be doing then doing that. The film 'The Mangler' springs to mind.

Still learning about Auto transmissions as I've never owned one and don't intend to. Fascinating never the less. I guess I don't know enough to start prodding around like how I do with manuals :)

I wish you the best of luck and please post your findings

#8 ·
Even if it had a dipstick, MOST if not all automatics are checked while the engine is running. The fluid drains down when the engine is off and if you pull the fill plug after the car has been resting a while you will dump about 2 quarts on the ground. This isn't a BMW thing, it's an automatic transmission thing. My Isuzu rodeo transmission is exactly the same way (in fact it has the same gm trans as some e36's)

I don't want answers from people who don't know what they are talking about. I want answers from people who have done it. Clearly this is the wrong forum for that type of person. I'll go sign up for bimmerforum or one of the others.

#9 ·
I don't want answers from people who don't know what they are talking about. I want answers from people who have done it. Clearly this is the wrong forum for that type of person. I'll go sign up for bimmerforum or one of the others.
Haha, you come here asking for help on an issue you don't know about and chastidize people who are trying to help you. Dabsy is definitkey not ignorant on the topic. It is you who is ignorant for not willing to listen to someone else.

People like you don't belong here if that's your attitude. I'm sure your attitude will fit in well at Bimmerforums. I don't care if you ever read this or not, but you probably overstayed your welcome.

#11 ·
2 fill plugs to bmw transmission - pressure and fill/measure

Hello all,

I'm trying to check the transmission fluid level on my XI.

I've located possible fill 2 plugs on the (GM) transmission. Neither of them match the descriptions I've read about on any of the forums.

I just opened the "rear" plug with the engine running and the transmission up to temp in park and fluid just started blowing out of it. I haven't opened the other plug yet.

Can anyone tell me which one I should be using????

Thank you!!
I'm assuming a response now is too late to benefit you, though it appears you figured it out (however I'm having difficulty following your conclusion) , but hopefully it can help someone else who runs into a similar problem

I can reassure you the plug that shows an extreme pressure release (if this is what you meant when you said "fluid just started blowing out of it") when opening is NOT the correct fill plug. Though this plug can technically be used to fill the transmission with fluid (car must be OFF or it will release massive pressure) it is not the correct way to refill and achieve a proper fluid measurement. The car must be at idle, in park and at proper temp for measurement). Unfortunately there's limited information about this 2nd plug on the internet and some people mistake this for the fill plug. I was one of them :) That 2nd plug is for reading the pressure of the trans/valve body. It is NOT the fill plug.

The fill plug for my 2005 BMW 330i is a T-45 torx (understand the e46's have different transmissions so your fill plug may be a different size). This site will show you info on the fill plug and a picture BMW E46 330CI Auto Transmission Change

There is limited space so you must improvise. My solution was to insert the tip of a t45 socket into a 8mm closed wrench (my t45 happened to be this thick yours may be different) and than place the t45 into the fill plug. As the wrench is now attached to the t45 I than used a rubber mallet (start easy) to break the fill plug free. It worked great and loosened the fill plug after the 2nd strike.

So in short, you open your fill plug and fluid spews out and sounds like an air hose think twice before you proceed. It very well is the wrong plug.

#12 ·
Excellent information. It may be too late for the OP but it will certainly help other people reading this in the future.

#13 ·
I serviced the GM trans in my 03 325xi and used the hex plug the OP has pictured to refill the trans. Filled till it ran out with the engine off and then topped off with the engine running after a short warm up per the DIY from Bav Auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.