BMW Werkz banner

Heavy clutch

14K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  sonspot 
#1 ·
Just boought a preowned 2006 325i with stick shift, I am new to the stick shift and learned and practiced over the weekend. I felt the clutch was exceedingly heavy, much heavier than the brake and gas, somewhat tiring to step it in and out over time. Is this kind of stiff clutch normal for a BMW? and can it be adjusted? Thanks a lot.

#2 ·
coming from an auto to manual can be hard on the leg as your not use to it, if its that hard to push down it can be adjusted, dealer or indie are the best places as the car has to be raised in the air.

#4 ·
Not to many revs, you basically let the clutch up slowley whilst you rev gently, when you get the hang of it you will be able to do faster and hold it on a hill with just clutch & revs and no brake applied.

Good luck, luckly over here we have more manuals than auto's so you learn to drive in a manual,when you pass your test in entitles you to drive both, but if you take a test in an auto you are NOT permitted to drive a manual

#12 · (Edited)
......and hold it on a hill with just clutch & revs and no brake applied......
And this Will kill your clutch BTW.... just use the brakes.... that is what they were designed for..... And Cheaper and easyer to replace....

#6 ·
after you master the clutch, you should remove the CDV.

#14 ·
^ yep and it can make parallel parking a PITA

#15 ·
your all assuming his clutch is ok, its an 06 so i'll assume the owner took care of the car,. as for learning first start off on a flat driveway or parking lot, this way you can find out where the clutch engage. have the car in 1st ease of the clutch until the car starts to move.

this is your first 5sp am not sure if would matter if you removed the cvd, either remove it now or forget about it, with the cvd remove the clutch will grab faster thats it.

after you master step one (knowing where the clutch engage) then on to balancing, find a slop just enough for the car to roll back (not a hill), in first gear try to keep the car from rolling back and not move forward, the car should not rev over 1000 rmp and this will not kill your clutch, your only doing this for less than a min. you should not smell any clutch this should not burn your clutch at all

after all this you should not have to rev up the car, mabe up to 1000 rpm the most..

thanks

#16 ·
in first gear try to keep the car from rolling back and not move forward, the car should not rev over 1000 rmp and this will not kill your clutch, your only doing this for less than a min. you should not smell any clutch this should not burn your clutch at all.............
Will there be any long term detrimental effect to the clutch? Thanks so much.

#20 ·
what do you mean a new one put in?. you should asked around am sure someone have one setting around, i finally took mine out on the weekend $40 CND with a trans and diff oil change.

without the cvd the clutch engage is sharper because there's no delay. i would let the clutch slip when i had the cvd in so i would get a smother shift be i got bored with it..

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.