Headroom problem..HELP - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: BMW 325ci spt. pakg.
Photos:
Thejoyofdriving is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Thejoyofdriving
Question Headroom problem..HELP

I have a 2003 325ci. I have a bit of a head room issue. I can not fit inside of my car with a helmet. with out a helmet i have less than half an inch. I have tried to change my seating position, but i have not had much success. I like to sit up straight and close to the wheel. is there any thing i can do, with out spending a fortune?used: :
Thejoyofdriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
/Banned

Car: Audi
Photos:
preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
hmm. wear the helmet and hit the top with a hammer, that mite do the trick. jk....
preyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
How tall are you? Do you have a sunroof? If you've tried all the positions it might jsut be down to leaning the seat back and have to hunch a bit, which is AWFUL advice. Sadly your best and safest bet is to purchase racing seats. They can mount much lower. Unfortunately you're looking at manual seats. You can rewrap them in the leather you prefer for not as much as you think. My buddy had his Recaro's done in white and black leather for $400 + meterial. Actually I think this price also included re-wrapping his rear stock seats in black and white leather aswell. Seats are still pricey though and brackets will be needed.

To be honest this is quite funny because someone in the Member lounge has been discussing getting a helmet. I noted he was 6'5" and may have some headroom problems. Although his vehicle is an e36.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Racing seats, ya i was looking in to them but i talked to people at sparco and corbeu and they said the stock mounting brackets are higher than oem brackets, and that at best thay can get me back to original height.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
That's ridiculous. I'll give my friend a phone call. His Recaro's sit stupid low in his e36. I don't really like it, but I always thougth for anyone over 6'3" it would be great. I'll get back to you on this.

By the way, where in Cali are you located?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Do people find they have headroom issues in the e30's as well? If i sit up straight, and don't slouch, there is no way in hell my head wouldn't hit the roof. For me to wear a helmet in there with the stock seats would be a no-go for sure. I'm 6'-6'1"ish.
Sorry 'bout the quasi-hijack
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Photos:
I've heard some complaints about the e30 aswell. For some reason e36 guys just got off a bit lucky. Theres a member on m3forum.net in an e36m3 sedan who tracks his car. He's 7'0" tall and has to wear a helmet. His solution was lean the seat back and kind of hunch a bit. It seems eveeryone else ont hat forum is about 6'5" or less and none of them have had real issues with this. This may also be due to our seats in the e36m3, which are vader editions. They have a slight bucket feeling to them.

Another contribution to adding racing seats to your car is they may mount int he same place, but they have less padding and more of a bucket to drop you a few inches. Once again ill try and get ahold of my friend on your issue as I have no first hand experience with installing racing seats.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Thank you m power, i am 6-2 and thin, but i have wide shoulders. so its hard to find a seat that is the right fit, either it is wide enough for my shoulders but too wide for my waist or visa versa, and i am really looking froward to doing some autox but not if i cant fix this problem. BTW you asked where in cali i am, i am in atherton, it is near menlo park, i am about 45 min south of san Fransisco.

Last edited by Thejoyofdriving; 04-11-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejoyofdriving
BTW you asked where in cali i am, i am in atherton, it is near menlo park, i am about 45 min south of san Fransisco.
Hey...my sis lives in Menlo Park!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
any luck contacting your friend Mpower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)