Headlights come on when staring engine - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Car:
Posts: 2
Photos:
Brian Watts is on a distinguished road
Headlights come on when staring engine

I have a 1999 model 323i.

For the past 9 months, with a battery that is far from new, but 99% of the time has started the engine quite adequately, there has been a strange phenomenon. On the other 1% of times the starter motor does not engage, the starter solenoid clicks (which is normal for a low charge battery), but the strange thing is that when the key is turned to the start position, the headlights come on, even though the headlight switch is off.

What is going on ? When you have a suss battery and need every volt you have, the last thing you want is the headlights on draining any remaining charge.

The local BMW checked it out, said there was nothing wrong, I just needed a new battery. He had no explanation about the lights coming on.

Does anyone know why the lights were coming on ?
Brian Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?
 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Miami FL
Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Posts: 14,690
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Does your car have day time running lights?
__________________
BMW

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Car:
Posts: 2
Photos:
Brian Watts is on a distinguished road
No, the car does not have DRL, but as they were compulsory in Canada at the time, I don't know whether all the circuitry and computer stuff is there, just disabled for BMWs delivered here in OZ.
Brian Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?
 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Miami FL
Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Posts: 14,690
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Well I guess there's some DRL circuit that has gone a bit nuts. Could be challenging to find it.
__________________
BMW

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E39 Weird engine noise/vibration ? What could it be? (ENGINE VIDEO) 528i_tourer 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 12 03-04-2009 11:59 AM
BMW Engine Fault alerts when engine revved abruptly bnovenario 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 3 09-19-2008 02:46 AM
Engine Odor & Service Engine Soon Light 2004 330Ci texas23 3-Series (E46, E90) 1 06-06-2008 09:31 AM
ok, got her staring! Still problem though... brycealicious 3-Series (E21, E30) 0 05-31-2004 03:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.