BMW Werkz banner

headlight... ones great... the others a PITA!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rivroshaun951 
#1 ·
I've done some searching but haven't come up with a answer to my problem....

my 03 325i with stock xenon headlights are acting up. The passenger side works great. But the driver side doesn't always want to light. I could turn them on and off a few times and then she would shine without any problems but now its getting cold out it doesn't want to light at all...

So.... My question is how do i know if i need a igniter, ballast, or a bulb. I'm willing to bet its not the bulb. Being a x-friend of mine had the car and replaced the bulb. I just don't want to throw a igniter in if it is indeed the ballast.

Now as for the bulb... I have no idea where he got it or what not and now have no way of asking him. But knowing he worked at a high end body shop at the time, i'm willing to bet it was a used headlight assembly they had and he used the bulb. But one of my headlights shines blue and the other is white. So where do i go about getting them to match? do they come in two different colors? How do i know when i go buy 1 bulb to make them match... anyone have a preference as to blue or white?

Thanks
Derek

See less See more
#2 ·
Just to add a few recent developments....

It warmed up around here... 50+ outside. The headlight started working BUT it got cold again and didn't want to light again. Idk if i should swap the left and right ballast and see if the problem switches sides... or switch the bulb or what...

Also after looking online some... i understand more about how they would be different colors... I just don't understand how you buy them... are the bulbs marked in a way i can make sure i buy one that matches one of mine or?

Thanks again....

Derek

PS... just did a bunch of DIY PM... Ill make a new post about it when I get a chance..

#3 ·
I am not a professional. This is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

When dealing with these type of bulbs it is best to buy them in matching pairs. New ones will tend to be brighter than the older ones. I would start by getting a new set first since they are mixed up and they will never be the same. If this does not solve the problem then I would start to look at why temperature is affecting the bulbs. Your problem sounds intermittent. The hardest to diagnose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.