Have a check engine light? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
441tech is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Post Have a check engine light?

My '99 323i E46 recently spit 2 codes, P1421, P1423. My scanner told me it was "Manufacturer Controlled Secondary Emissions." Well, with some help from you guys, and some simple troubleshooting, and the factory service manual, I fixed it without shot-gunning any parts.

Turns out, the secondary emissions system basically consists of an air pump, secondary valve, and a control solenoid valve underneath the intake manifold. Usually, air solenoid valves don't normally puke, so I took the pump off the right shock tower and zapped 12V on the terminals--nothing. It's also recommended that you change the secondary pump and valve together, as one can take out the other in the event of a failure.

So, $330 later--MY COST: --but only about 45 min. for R&R, my check engine light remains out to this day. Plus I can hear the pump right on the first start of the day now, which I couldn't hear before. It actually sounds kinda cool, especially when it shuts off.

I can't STAND idiot lights on in my car. As a mechanic, I just gotta fix it I guess--no matter what the cost, and even if it doesn't affect the way it runs.

Also, there are some parts stores around the country, such as Autozone, that will tell you what the code is from your check engine light for free. That's the benefit of OBD II systems--it's a common language now worldwide in cars. Or, for $100, you can pick up your own OBD II code reader and take it from there. Caution: If you do this, have a manual handy to help explain what the code means, or ask someone here!

I just think a BMW should work properly, don't you think?

441tech

Officer: "I see you set the table for four."

Groucho Marx: "That's nothing--I set my alarm clock for eight."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
not to brag or anything... but the check engine light on OBD I BMWs will dump the error codes if you do a neat little pedal dance. Saves you the trip to autozone or the $100 for a scanner.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 12:45 AM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 441tech

I just think a BMW should work properly, don't you think?

441tech

Then I'd be out of a job J/K but as far as things go on the tech side, deffinatly my favorite car to work on

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)