BMW Werkz banner

Front Struts

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gwilson001 
#1 ·
Have '99 328i sedan, automatic, 81K miles. Mechanics says I need new front struts; says mine are leaking. Wanting $700 to replace them.

Just a couple questions:

1) Should I act, or wait until the struts fail. How can you tell when a strut fails? What is the risk of postponing the job?

2) How's that price sound? Also, do I have to realign front end at the same time?

3) If I replace them, will I get a better ride? Or will I even be able to tell?

Thanks!

#3 ·
He's right, if they are leaking you must replace them immediately. I would argue that you probably needed to replace them a long time ago. Struts wear slowly and you don't really notice the change - but they get soft. Yours are shot.

Switch to Bilstein HD's for a very nice ride - just a little more firm than stock. For my 3 series I paid just a bit over $1500 for front struts, rear shocks (and new shock mounts) installed and another $75 for front and rear wheel align (you must do this after putting the new struts or shocks on).

Of course there are many makers of after market struts and shocks - find one you like, you will notice a huge difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.