BMW Werkz banner

Front License Plate???

9K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  AZ325Ci 
#1 ·
We were just cited for no front plate while parked at the curb in Westwood, CA, USA. No parking meter violation.... just the front plate. California Motor Vehicle Code requires a front plate and this is just a fix-it ticket, but (as far as I know) you have to appear and show that your front plate is attached. What you do later is between you and your conscience...... and the next officer that sees that you have no front plate.

So..... the question is: Is there a front plate bracket available that does NOT require drilling holes in the bumper???? Or...... are there other creative solutions??

:dunno

Thanks.

#2 ·
Originally posted by Midlife@Mar 24 2004, 08:57 PM
We were just cited for no front plate while parked at the curb in Westwood, CA, USA. No parking meter violation.... just the front plate. California Motor Vehicle Code requires a front plate and this is just a fix-it ticket, but (as far as I know) you have to appear and show that your front plate is attached. What you do later is between you and your conscience...... and the next officer that sees that you have no front plate.

So..... the question is: Is there a front plate bracket available that does NOT require drilling holes in the bumper???? Or...... are there other creative solutions??

Thanks.
pay the ticket. try to get it reduced. and also there should be a bracket you can get from the dealer or maybe our sponsor Michael.

#7 ·
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Mar 25 2004, 07:20 AM
if it is NOT an m3 car: all e46s have a plastic rubbing strip, which is modular and replaceable. bmw sells a module for the nose, (in euro and us sizes), dealwers have it (i never got the part number, cos it came with my car).

peter
Not all e46's have this rub strip or a provision to mount a front plate . Mine does not and I have recieved the same ticket in downtown Denver. If you have a mesh grill below the bumper zip tie the plate on and remove it later if you wish. I was told to drill holes in my bumper and mount it and the court did not care how much the bumper on my car cost. Now when I go downtown I don't park on the street they cannot ticket in a private lot. Mounting the plate in the front window is still considered a violation for and improperly displayed license plate.
Ben

#8 ·
actually isnt there a separate piece made just for mountin the license plate? because i got tapped on the bumber, i checked the dealer for the piece and it was around the $40~ range jus for the plastic part and thats without the paint required to match ur body so its about $100-200 depending on where you do it... :idea2

#11 ·
Originally posted by Midlife@Mar 24 2004, 09:57 PM

Thanks.
What year is your car? I just took off my front bumper plate because I don't need to have one in Goergia. (Wooo!) Looks cleaner w/o it I think too. It took me all of 2 minutes to unsnap the plate bumper strip and snap in the straight clean bumper strip.

It was not screwed on to the car, just the actual plate is tightened down with screws, but they had rubber backings so as to not scratch the paint (thought that was cool!)

Should only be like a 10-15 dollar piece from your dealer, or try bavauto.com or circlebmw.com for it.

#12 ·
i picked up this plastic bracket from the dealer for thirtysomeodd dollars and they referred me to paintshop that does a lot of their work and they painted it for free(score!). i put the chrome plate on it so i just have to switch it out for a bit if i get a pesky fix-it-ticket.

#14 ·
they normally run about 30-35 dollars at the dealer.

i know the CA laws all too well. everytime i drive there, i either get stopped for having tinted windows or no front license plates. one time, i was ticketed while parked for the no front plate. man, it pisses me off even though i have an AZ plate. :pissed2 the ticket was thrown out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.