BMW Werkz banner

flashing angel eyes and license plates lights on startup

6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  panto 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I replaced the angel eyes lights with white leds today but I've noticed a small problem. When I start up the car the rings flash on and off as do my number plate lights. The flashing is in short bursts such as on a strobe light and this lasts for about 5 seconds before stopping. Anyone come across this before or have any ideas why this is happening? The car is a 07 320d.

#4 ·
I installed 6000k ccfl angel eyes into my headlight assembly, and when I start the car it would flicker lasting for a fraction of a second. I might be wrong , but I thought it happened because of the current flowing through the wires ( since the ccfl incerters were quick spliced to my fog lights) in order to find out if there was some sort of connection issue with the lights and send a message back to the car computer resulting in a check lamp sign for example. Maybe this is whats happening to you.

#5 ·
I see, so you're saying that when the car starts up it does some quick diagnostic checks by sending a small current to certain electrical components to check that they're ok.. where the current is so small it normally wouldn't light up the original bulbs, but is enough to light up LEDs? That would fit what I'm seeing where if I unlock the car, the rings would fade in slowly but with the LEDs they turn on immediately then the light intensifies.

I did find some other posts where people have this same issue but they liked that 'feature' :) and didn't try to resolve it. Or maybe it's just not fixable at all without drastic measures...

#6 ·
I see, so you're saying that when the car starts up it does some quick diagnostic checks by sending a small current to certain electrical components to check that they're okQUOTE]

Yes thats exactly my point, because after I installed my angel eyes for the first time ( mind you ccfl angel eyes ) and assuming you know how to install these rings into the headlight assembly, you would know that they have to be routed outside the assembly and to a electrical wire outside. Getting to the point :rolleyes: I forgot to plug in the low beams. So I had my brother turn the lights on, and after 3 seconds I saw a short flicker of light twice and almost immediately I heard a ring ( the sound of the low beam not detected by the car).

Also idk how abt how you installed your angel eyes, but I connected my black to the ground wire ( brown and black) fog lights and the yellow and red together. I quick spliced them so hard, that the bare wire was exposed, so I guess the current would be flowing.

After I read your post I see that you said It would come on for 5 seconds or so. It has the be an electrical current as a result. may the other factory lights wont do the same because they have certain fuses hardwired into the bmw computer. Thats my guess.:rule

#7 ·
Yea, that would make sense. Maybe the flicker lasts longer on mine because it's performing more checks being a newer model. I didn't change anything other than the bulb and the small black casing that it's attached to - I already had the rings, and just wanted to change the color from standard yellow to white light.

I've asked some sellers of similar products on ebay and they've had reports of this happening with their products as well. I'm still on the lookout for ones that don't flicker, however I think my chances are slim.

Thanks for your help by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.