Fitting Rad - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 05:11 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Martin B3 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi is it a DIY job to fit a radiator to an e46 auto wiyh aircon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:48 PM
n00b

Tom Busby is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes it is relatively easy. My car is a 2001 325i with manual trans. The only real trick is to replace everything (radiator, expansion tank and 4 hoses=about $430). At first I did not replace the expansion because it wasn't leaking but it did leak when I put the new radiator in, so I had to drain the lines etc. when it would have been much easier to do the job only once.
The hoses will be VERY stuck but come off with a little tapping, or some light pounding and prying where necessary.
Basically here's a summary: Remove the air filter housing and the tray under the car. Drain the radiator and remove the hoses. Then the electric fan comes off BEFORE the expansion tank comes off. One bolt and 2 clips on the fan I think, and the electrical connection, and it just sits in some clips that cradle it at the bottom of the radiator. Then, the expansion tank has one bolt on the left top (I think) and one bolt underneath, AND the tricky part, it has a hidden peg on the lower left, so after you remove the obvious bolts you rotate it AND the flat plastic thing it mounts on (the axis for the rotation is up-down) toward the rear and to the left to slide the peg out of the hole. The radiator itself is easy. Just pay attention to the clips. You can pull it up of drop it down, whatever you like.
The "4th hose" goes all the way to the back of the engine but if you remove the microfilter housing it is easy to get to, although it won't look like it at first.
Use BMW antifreeze. You need the star-shaped allen-keys, so get a full set.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:39 AM
n00b

Martin B3 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot keep me out of trouble this week end
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:29 PM
n00b

Tom Busby is an unknown quantity at this point
Whoops I incorrectly mixed the car's left side and the mechanic's (your) left side. I wrote that the expansion tank mounting bracket has a peg on the car's left (your right) which is true, but I should have written that it rotates out to the car's right (your left, a/k/a the passenger side of the car).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)