first roadtrip with my lady - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
leftone is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
took my lady on her first roadtrip. DROVE LIKE A DREAM! ive come to understand what all the fuss was about. BMW is truly a "drivers" car. nothin matches its balance of speed luxury and handleing. Sure theres alot of other cars that are faster, or that handle better, or that are more luxurious, but non balance it like BMW. Take the corvette for instance.... fast.. but all you can do is point it in a straight line a stomp the gas... and not comfortable at all. The Miata.. handles like non other but again.. not luxurious and not fast. (stock). Lexus.. they have mildly decent speed.. and are VERY luxurious.. but handle like a boat. (ls400- ls430) nothing brings the percision of driving to a professional level the way BMW does. again sorry so long but i am in love. cheers mate

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>GET YOUR SELF OWNED AT BMW-FORUMS.COM HAMANNM3=BIGGEST QUEER EVER! HESS DRINKS PEE!!</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Neutral Member

cakman2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cakman2 Send a message via MSN to cakman2 Send a message via Yahoo to cakman2
I agree with your assessment of the BMW. Perfect ballance of all things. However, I think your a bit misguided on your comps. Corvettes handle much better than you think and would absolutely wipe any BMWs (maybe not M5) behind all over the place in any straight or curvey race. However, they lack the comfort of the Bimmer and eventually become tiresome to drive because of their raw power.

Miata should not even be mentioned in the same breath as any of these other vehicles. Fun fart around car, thats about it. I had a 2003 350Z that outhandled and outsped my 2004 330i Performance Package hands down. However, the overall enjoyment of driving the BMW based on ride and comfort as well as outstanding performance (and not too mention great value) makes it an experience that cannpt be quantified. It must be experienced. I look forward to driving my car all the time and it makes all the mundane little chores in life a pleasure.

Overall I agree with your assessment of the Bimmer.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for your honest reply.. it was a good secondary point of view... im just PERSONALLY not impressed with corvettes...i feel like im sitting in the trunk trying to drive a boat..personal preference....i agree about the miata.. just a car to putt around in... just use those cause im famaliar with them.. i agree on the 350z.. i test drove one.. although fast they werent much on comfort and roadnoise was amazing. but i do think the 350z right now.. is the ultimate 2 door roadster in its price range... u can spend that much on a rx8 or a miata for that matter and still not get what the z has to offer. i do not include the bmw z in that class because of its price. ur looking at 40+ to get what you want. but im so impressed with my bmw that i will never not have at least one in my garage from now on. cheers mate and again thanks for your view.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>GET YOUR SELF OWNED AT BMW-FORUMS.COM HAMANNM3=BIGGEST QUEER EVER! HESS DRINKS PEE!!</span>
#4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Neutral Member

Send a message via AIM to cakman2 Send a message via MSN to cakman2 Send a message via Yahoo to cakman2
What car did you get?

#5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
2004 325i auto w/ steptronic

#6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Neutral Member

Nice, congrats
#7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:17 PM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
Vettes (Viper food) dont impress me that much. *cough* penis envy *cough.

anyway enough vette bashing, A very good description of a BMW, expect that feeling to last, I have an 85 635csi and when you put the pedal down your eyes widen a bit and your heart starts racing.

It needs work, but it's still a driver's car. Glad you enjoy your new bimmer!

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Neutral Member

Roadhawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Well mine is on order and I can't wait. I must say I was very impressed with the handling dynamics of this car (330 ZHP) and I put it through the paces on 5 seperate test drives, including several long ones, all where I was able to thrash the car a bit - with traction control off and on - and I had great fun with it. Even drove nice in the rain...suprised me I must admit...however compared to my chipped S4 it is noticibly less fast - but still very nice - particualrly when one can work the revs. I felt that it was a bit faster then the RX-8 I drove - and perhaps equally as nimble (RX-8 is really a very nice driving, supremely balanced car)...and would expect it to be (pretty much) just as fast as a 350Z - though I have never driven one (I just eat them and the G35's for lunch in my S4). All nice cars though. I did (briefly) consider the RX-8 (wishing on Mazdaspeed 300hp supercharged version!), the G35 coup (neither had any kind of trunk however). I also considered the new Volvo S40 (also available for pick up in Europe)...but it is currently not available with a stick (or AWD which was of interest) - and I am very glad now - as I have come to appreciate the 330 ZHP as a whole different league of car. I know I'm going to enjoy it and I can't wait for July!

...BTW I've never had any interest in a Corvette..fine car - but way to big and just not for me. I do dispute it being able to keep with a small BMer in tight twisties - despite its roadholding ablity and power...I just cant see a normal driver being able to drive one as fast in transition. In the past - with a Supercharged Toyota MR2 - that i still own but do not drive - I have proven (with racing slicks) to be able to outrun Corvettes (and 300Zs!) in tight twisties..and even keep on the tail of a first gen NSX - whose mission was to try to shake me!

<span style='color:gray'>Current rides:</span>
<span style='color:red'>2004 BMW 330i Sedan - Performance Package - Imola red - Alcantara, moonroof, cold weather, Bi-Xenons, silver cube trim</span>
<span style='color:blue'>2001 Audi S4 Avant - Nogaro Blue with Alcantara seating - APR chipped, lowered and otherwise modded</span>
<span style='colorurple'>1964 1/2 Mustang Convertable - Vintage Burgundy - 289 4 barrel V8 - 51K original miles - unrestored &amp; near mint</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)