Fiancee Considering The Purchase Of A 3-series - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
speedemn is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi there,

My fiancee is considering the purchase of a 3-series sedan between 2002 to the brand new 2005 model. However, I wanted to get some advice and recommendations from current owners and enthusiasts. I am hoping that you can answer some questions for me.

Most likely she will be going for the 325 or 330. The 320 just seemed to lack some of the options that should be standard on a car of this class and it seemed as though it would cost more to add those options to make it equal to a 325 at least (minus the stronger motor of the 325). She will be getting a manual transmission.

1) Is there any advantage to going with a later model 325/330... were there any note-worthy changes between the years of 02-05 that would make the later model a better buy?

2) In terms of ongoing maintenance and upkeep, how expensive (or not) is it, to own one of these cars?

3) In terms of little maintanance and repairs that might crop up later in the life of this car, is it something that DIY car guy like me can handle or will I have to run to the dealership, everytime something goes wrong, because of the car being too "unique" and not like any other car to work on?

If I can think of any more questions I will post more later; if any of my questions need clarification please feel free to ask. I want to be able to get a clear understanding of what I/she would be getting in to.

Thanks for your time, all.
speedemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
1) Is there any advantage to going with a later model 325/330... were there any note-worthy changes between the years of 02-05 that would make the later model a better buy?

Better to get an 02 if depreciation is an issue, you get a better deal and if the car was well maintained and is not a lemon it is bullit proof!

2) In terms of ongoing maintenance and upkeep, how expensive (or not) is it, to own one of these cars?

If you take it to the dealer you will get hosed LARGE! Better to find a BMW mechanic near you, dont go for the posh location, my mechanic is in a crappy gas station and does great work is dirt cheap.

3) In terms of little maintanance and repairs that might crop up later in the life of this car, is it something that DIY car guy like me can handle or will I have to run to the dealership, everytime something goes wrong, because of the car being too "unique" and not like any other car to work on?

You can do many of the maintenance things yourself, oil change, brake flush, changing air filters (cabin and intake), inspections, resetting the maintenance lights on the dash, etc. Again if you take the car to the dealer you are going to get hosed.

Remember even if the car is under warrantee you will still get all the bs charges that are not covered under the warrantee, and you will be forced to continue going back to the dealer to get ripped off again and again.

Good luck to you!
2001BMW330iRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)