BMW Werkz banner

Fan Belts Broken

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bryan1970 
#1 ·
i'm a new member in here, can anybody help me to about the fan belts in my 330CI.. when i stopped at the redline i don't know why there was a strange sound under the hood I keep driving it for 5 minutes and stop and found out that the fan belts were broken and all the coolant came out, and have to towed the car to the shop and they said i have to replace something i got the name of the steering wheel, there said there are two ,I can replaced one for 285 or two for 650 they suggested i sould do two because the other couldn't last long..so anybody have any ideas on this topic ...PLEASE help!!!

#2 ·
THe terms you are using are awfully ambiguous. First of all: the "something" you have to replace, are you talking about the fan belts? I wouldn't take it to a mechanic for that. The one and two belts are very likely the drive belt (drives alternator and water pump, which explains the coolant boiling and overflowing) and the air conditioning belt. I would do this myself or find a buddy of mine that could do it. Replacing the fan belts is very simple. That was the first thing I ever did on my car. If you don't feel capable of doing it, I still suggets you only get the drive belt put in. The car will do fine without the A/C belt if it happens to break. THen find a friend that can help you replace the A/C belt. The cost of belts is under $100, and labor cannot be over one hour. Even replacing both belts should be well under $285, which is why I suspect your mechanic is either ripping you off or found something else that we don't know about yet.

Come back with more info. We'll help.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

#3 ·
Originally posted by drz328i@May 12 2005, 08:38 PM
THe terms you are using are awfully ambiguous. First of all: the "something" you have to replace, are you talking about the fan belts? I wouldn't take it to a mechanic for that. The one and two belts are very likely the drive belt (drives alternator and water pump, which explains the coolant boiling and overflowing) and the air conditioning belt. I would do this myself or find a buddy of mine that could do it. Replacing the fan belts is very simple. That was the first thing I ever did on my car. If you don't feel capable of doing it, I still suggets you only get the drive belt put in. The car will do fine without the A/C belt if it happens to break. THen find a friend that can help you replace the A/C belt. The cost of belts is under $100, and labor cannot be over one hour. Even replacing both belts should be well under $285, which is why I suspect your mechanic is either ripping you off or found something else that we don't know about yet.

Come back with more info. We'll help.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
[snapback]343908[/snapback]​
actually all the belts are broken, i opened the hook and noticed that all of them failed off , they say they replaced not only those belts but something of the steering wheel, i forgot the same,, but there are two. Replacing one for 285 and two for 650

#4 ·
a power steering pump???? maybe? or maybe the pump and the lines for the power steering? do you have the bill from the shop it should say something on there as to what they did to your car. or if it is still in the shop you could call them and ask them what they replaced or what needs to be replaced. but as drz328i said there just isn't enough info to really know what the shop is talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.