BMW Werkz banner

Factory Hid Issue

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Cubee 
#1 ·
I have a '00 328CI - Factory HID. It may not even be related to the HID but this is how I discovered it.

I noticed that when I would turn my head lights on, they would click on and off intermittantly durring the whole period that I was running them. When they would "flicker" or click on and off real fast, I can hear a click from under the dash near the glove box.

Now, while inspecting this more closely, I have determined that the lights do not need to be on and running for me to hear the clicking noise.

Is the HID powered even when not in use? Do I have a bad relay, or more signifigant electrical issue?

All electrically is running fine, and I have no other symptoms to describe.

Let me know what you think. This is really annoying, but I do find that people tend to move out of my way easier now!

#2 ·
Originally posted by chaci328ci@Dec 15 2004, 10:19 AM
I have a '00 328CI - Factory HID. It may not even be related to the HID but this is how I discovered it.

I noticed that when I would turn my head lights on, they would click on and off intermittantly durring the whole period that I was running them. When they would "flicker" or click on and off real fast, I can hear a click from under the dash near the glove box.

Now, while inspecting this more closely, I have determined that the lights do not need to be on and running for me to hear the clicking noise.

Is the HID powered even when not in use? Do I have a bad relay, or more signifigant electrical issue?

All electrically is running fine, and I have no other symptoms to describe.

Let me know what you think. This is really annoying, but I do find that people tend to move out of my way easier now!

[snapback]251313[/snapback]​

Xenon ballasts make a real nice "snapping" noise when the bulb isn't firing up properly - please don't play with your xenons and try to diagnose them. This is one time I'll say 'take it to the dealer' - you don't want a 20,000 volt wakeup call to come out of those ballasts!

JL

#3 ·
i have the same problem

i've had my 328Ci for 2 years now, and only recently (in the last month) have the factory HIDs started flickering when on. this is an annoyance to other drivers at night.

i thought it was the bulbs, so i replced them with newer ones, and they still flicker.

anyone know what else i can do? or is my only option now to take to dealership services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.