Factory Hid Issue - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:19 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chaci328ci is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a '00 328CI - Factory HID. It may not even be related to the HID but this is how I discovered it.

I noticed that when I would turn my head lights on, they would click on and off intermittantly durring the whole period that I was running them. When they would "flicker" or click on and off real fast, I can hear a click from under the dash near the glove box.

Now, while inspecting this more closely, I have determined that the lights do not need to be on and running for me to hear the clicking noise.

Is the HID powered even when not in use? Do I have a bad relay, or more signifigant electrical issue?

All electrically is running fine, and I have no other symptoms to describe.

Let me know what you think. This is really annoying, but I do find that people tend to move out of my way easier now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 02:43 AM
2nd Gear Member

jlevi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jlevi
Quote:
Originally posted by chaci328ci@Dec 15 2004, 10:19 AM
I have a '00 328CI - Factory HID. It may not even be related to the HID but this is how I discovered it.

I noticed that when I would turn my head lights on, they would click on and off intermittantly durring the whole period that I was running them. When they would "flicker" or click on and off real fast, I can hear a click from under the dash near the glove box.

Now, while inspecting this more closely, I have determined that the lights do not need to be on and running for me to hear the clicking noise.

Is the HID powered even when not in use? Do I have a bad relay, or more signifigant electrical issue?

All electrically is running fine, and I have no other symptoms to describe.

Let me know what you think. This is really annoying, but I do find that people tend to move out of my way easier now!

[snapback]251313[/snapback]

Xenon ballasts make a real nice "snapping" noise when the bulb isn't firing up properly - please don't play with your xenons and try to diagnose them. This is one time I'll say 'take it to the dealer' - you don't want a 20,000 volt wakeup call to come out of those ballasts!

JL
#3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:13 PM
n00b

Cubee is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem

i've had my 328Ci for 2 years now, and only recently (in the last month) have the factory HIDs started flickering when on. this is an annoyance to other drivers at night.

i thought it was the bulbs, so i replced them with newer ones, and they still flicker.

anyone know what else i can do? or is my only option now to take to dealership services.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)