European Radio in US BMW - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
comncense is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to comncense Send a message via Yahoo to comncense Send a message via Skype™ to comncense
(Thread Starter)
European Radio in US BMW

Quick question... I was wondering if radios made in the UK have a different wiring system than those made in the states. I was considering buying an Alpine from someone off of ebay in the UK but i want to make sure it works in my car before i do so. I have a 99 BMW 328i. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by comncense
Quick question... I was wondering if radios made in the UK have a different wiring system than those made in the states. I was considering buying an Alpine from someone off of ebay in the UK but i want to make sure it works in my car before i do so. I have a 99 BMW 328i. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I do not think, that would be any problem,because all these stuff is made in China, Malasia,Singapore ,Mexico etc... for sure not in UK !
#3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:57 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Im not sure but I do now that when installing a new BMW radio (here in the US) you have to set it to the correct country mode so some of them are def the same for several countrys. The best thing to do is get pics of the front and back of radio and make sure it is identical.

DT

DT

#4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear Member

The frequency for "FM" is the same in US and European countries and they also use "negative"(-) ground for power conection.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 06:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
zibby i do not think fm is at the same frequency. euro is up to i think 85 ghz, whereas us starts at 88 ghz and goes up to 108 or so.

the radio knows this: there is a way to adjust the setting POSTED IN THIS FORUM. will take you a second to find this in tips and tricks (i think), and 3 seconds to adjust the unit in your car.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkulesza
zibby i do not think fm is at the same frequency. euro is up to i think 85 ghz, whereas us starts at 88 ghz and goes up to 108 or so.

the radio knows this: there is a way to adjust the setting POSTED IN THIS FORUM. will take you a second to find this in tips and tricks (i think), and 3 seconds to adjust the unit in your car.
Yeah, that use to be what you say in some Eastern European countries , but they changed it in late '80 , so now is same "MHz", dunno about Russia and its Asiatic republic.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 12:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby
Yeah, that use to be what you say in some Eastern European countries , but they changed it in late '80 , so now is same "MHz", dunno about Russia and its Asiatic republic.

HAHAHAHA!!! i am from POLAND!!! left for the us in the '80.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)