Engine turns off when accelerating - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM
spg
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spg is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Engine turns off when accelerating

I have a 2003 325i that has been experiencing weird issues. I purchased the vehicle from CarMax in November 2012. The car was running fine, except one incident, close to a month after I purchased it. My boyfriend was driving at the time, and pretty soon after starting his drive (within 2 minutes), the car turned off when he went to accelerate from a full stop. It turned back on right away and there were no other issues, so we didn't do anything about it.

Fast forward to March 2013. I noticed that the car would sometimes shake when it was first turned on. Usually turning it off and starting again would fix this. Then, the car powered off during acceleration again. It happened once for me and a couple more times to my boyfriend. I was also noticing that it sometimes felt like it was going to shut off when I was accelerating, almost like when I had a stick shift and the car was going to stall, but if I gunned it, it would be fine. This had the affect of making the accelerator seem extra touchy. This would go away after driving for a few minutes.

We have a warranty with CarMax and I was planning on taking it in the next time I was able to take a day off of work. Before I could, it happened again, but this time the car did not turn back on.

We had it towed to CarMax and they replaced the fuel pump. It was running fine after that, though it would still occasionally shake when it was first turned on. I figured the issues weren't related, and maybe they aren't.

The same thing happened again last Monday. The car powered off during acceleration, but turned back on. I had it towed to a repair shop (CarMax was booked for weeks) and they couldn't replicate the issue. They tried for a couple of days and weren't able to replicate the problem.

As a fun result, I'm in a battle with CarMax about covering the cost of my rental car.

I've seen similar issues on different threads, but it appears that the engines would stop while they were driving, and not necessarily when accelerating from a full stop.

Does anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

Take the car to have the OBD system scanned for trouble codes. Any codes present will identify the problem and help you to fix it.

I would check for vacuum leaks in all your hoses and lines including the intake boot. I would also check your MAF. A bad MAF and the computer doesnt know how much air is getting into the engine and cant compensate properly.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
n00b

clarkmichaelmr is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem. I found my 00 323i did not like regular gas. Mid grade or higher. Also, I replaced my mass air intake sensor and I have never had an issue with this again..
Hope this works for you. It's been a while since you've posted.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 PM
n00b

Mclure325 is on a distinguished road
Did you ever fix this problem? The exact same thing is happening to my 05 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)