Engine Service Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001BMW325xi is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Okay so my SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light (YELLOW) has come on........out o fthe blue yesterday morning.

Yeah I did a lot of search on it and got most of the theoretical info. My question is just one and of more practical nature:

I have an appointment with my local BMW shop on Tuesday. The light came on Yesterday morning (Wednesday). Till then I have no way to know whats wrong with the car. Has anyone driven the car for a week after one of those signs came on? Is is advisable to drive the car? I know its prolly an oxygen sensor or the mass airflow system yada yada .....but are those systems (if they indeed are wrong) critical to the car's day to day functioning. As of now the vehicle couldnt be functioning more normally......LOL....in fact my MPG has increased by about 2-3 Miles since the last week or so (unless thats a bad sign :P ). So no problems so far....but if any of you has had any experience in riding for at least a week or more on this warning period....please....reply. Doesnt matter what E yu have. I am kinda apprehensive since its my first warning on the Bimmer...... .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW325xi@Jun 9 2005, 02:05 PM
Okay so my SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light (YELLOW) has come on........out o fthe blue yesterday morning.

Yeah I did a lot of search on it and got most of the theoretical info. My question is just one and of more practical nature:

I have an appointment with my local BMW shop on Tuesday. The light came on Yesterday morning (Wednesday). Till then I have no way to know whats wrong with the car. Has anyone driven the car for a week after one of those signs came on? Is is advisable to drive the car? I know its prolly an oxygen sensor or the mass airflow system yada yada .....but are those systems (if they indeed are wrong) critical to the car's day to day functioning. As of now the vehicle couldnt be functioning more normally......LOL....in fact my MPG has increased by about 2-3 Miles since the last week or so (unless thats a bad sign :P ). So no problems so far....but if any of you has had any experience in riding for at least a week or more on this warning period....please....reply. Doesnt matter what E yu have. I am kinda apprehensive since its my first warning on the Bimmer...... .
[snapback]352085[/snapback]
Hi ! You can drive you car as long as "check the engine" light is on ,but not flashing-must be steady !!! , if it blinks while engine is running or you drive stop the engine immediately and let your car tow away to the service garage.As I said ,you can drive but do not go above 3000 rpm and try to drive gently till you reach the BMW shop. Best regards !
#3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

exjarhead328 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the conventional wisdom says the first thing to check is the gas cap. Did the dealer mention this?

SEMPER FI 2/3 Comm
Founder of the Four Pedal Club
2000 328

#4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by exjarhead328@Jun 11 2005, 09:20 AM
I think the conventional wisdom says the first thing to check is the gas cap. Did the dealer mention this?
[snapback]352648[/snapback]
Thanks zibby. Yeah I am driving it as gently as I can. And jarhead I checked my gas cap...was perfectly tightened as it should be. Thanks again for the input. The light is not flashing so far....and i hope it does not till tuesday/........ .
#5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
dude, this gas cap crap can still be the problem , although unlikely,. shut the car off, take the cap off, then retighted with number of clicks (keep turning for a half a turn or so).

it may reset itself. outside of this, dealer WILL have the code.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Just an update:

So went to GLB motors here in St. Louis and they checked the codes and it showed two codes......they replaced one thing......engine cam chaft sensor (or something like that)......150$ + labor (fortunately cover by my extended warranty)......was driving the car back home and ten minutes into the drive the light comes back on again....... ghead .......am going in today and will tell them to replace the other thing....some O2 sensor or soemthing.....they will have to order the parts......arghhhhhhh.

The car in the meanwhile runs greeeatttttt. So what gives? I dunno.....the ever deceiving european electronicary. ghead
#7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW325xi@Jun 15 2005, 03:31 PM
Just an update:

So went to GLB motors here in St. Louis and they checked the codes and it showed two codes......they replaced one thing......engine cam chaft sensor (or something like that)......150$ + labor (fortunately cover by my extended warranty)......was driving the car back home and ten minutes into the drive the light comes back on again....... ghead .......am going in today and will tell them to replace the other thing....some O2 sensor or soemthing.....they will have to order the parts......arghhhhhhh.

The car in the meanwhile runs greeeatttttt. So what gives? I dunno.....the ever deceiving european electronicary. ghead
[snapback]353811[/snapback]
Looks like this GLB motors plays guessing game with this issue ! In most cases cam shaft positioning sensor causes unstable engine runing or stalling, you did not have this symptoms, now they are gonna change oxegene one -how convinient !!!, what next ?, but as long as you do not pay for work done ,that`s OK ! Take care and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)