Electrical Problem With 2002 323i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
jisang1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys,

Today is only the second day that I drove my *new* 2000 323i. I am unfortunately experiencing the following problem:

While driving, the following 3 lights come on, and STAY on-
- BRAKE
- ABS
- DCS Symobl (Triangle within the Circle)

I consulted the users manual, and on Page. 107 it told me that when these three lights come on, it means that the 'ABS, CBC and DSC systems have failed'.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If yes, is there a solution other than shelling out big $$$ to get it fixed at a dealership? Is such a problem a sensor issue or could there be something seriously WRONG with the car? After paying for the car itself I'm pretty broke, so I'd like to fix it myself if possible.

Any replies are appreciated,
Jiten.

Note: I think I mistakenly said this is a 2002 BMW in the title. It is in fact a 2000. Sorry!!
jisang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
It could be several diffferent things. Since ABS and traction control is a safety feature I wouldnt just let it go. Unfortunately however it's not an easy system to diagnose yourself. you need a code reader that will read ABS. A cheap obd2 scantool is not going to do it. A dealer visit or a trip to the local independent mechanic may be in order.
good luck,
DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Dec 31 2004, 11:09 PM
It could be several diffferent things. Since ABS and traction control is a safety feature I wouldnt just let it go. Unfortunately however it's not an easy system to diagnose yourself. you need a code reader that will read ABS. A cheap obd2 scantool is not going to do it. A dealer visit or a trip to the local independent mechanic may be in order.
good luck,
DT
[snapback]262021[/snapback]
Thanks for the reply - the Austin BMW dealerships are booked-up untill next week, so I'm currently evaluating my options.

Another update about my problem is that the lights go on and off. It isn't a flicker, its more like the 3 lights come on together, stay on for a while, and if I park the car and start it later they are often gone.

This is leading me to believe that it is probably a sensor or software problem rather than a serious issue with the ABS system of the car.

Any ideas? Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
caharvey is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar problem with my 01 325i. I took it to the dealer and they reset, if I remember correctly, a DME computer. They also did a some type of software upgrade, which I was told takes overnight. In the end, my car drives as good as new.

Good luck with the problem
caharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by caharvey@Jan 25 2005, 04:33 PM
I had a similar problem with my 01 325i. I took it to the dealer and they reset, if I remember correctly, a DME computer. They also did a some type of software upgrade, which I was told takes overnight. In the end, my car drives as good as new.

Good luck with the problem
[snapback]279029[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply......I've been soooo busy with my new job that I am still to take the car to the Stealership!! Two quick follow-up questions to your response above:

1 - Was the total time you spent on this 1 day (overnight) at the Dealership? Also, did the dealership charge you to do this? If yes, how much, just so I have a rough idea of what its gonna cost me.....

2 - My car SEEMS to drive normally even when these lights come up. Did yours have some kind of problems when these lights lit up? FYI, these lights come-and-go in my car, they aren't ALWAYS lit....>Which is why I'm sure its a sensor or software issue.

Thanks again,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)