Ebay - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
matt325is is an unknown quantity at this point
I have found a 330ci on ebay for a very reasonable starting bid. I have never had any expirences with ebay and I'm not sore of the quality and everything else that goes on. I'm not saying that I'm am going to buy the car now but I do want to know if anyone has had any expirences with ebay and purchaseing cars on ebay. It is a red 2001 330ci with 43kmi. Please give me your input thanks.

Matt

Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
white 330ci is an unknown quantity at this point
i just bought clear reflectors off ebay.
no problems there.

but buying a whole car is completely different
white 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
There is a big difference between buying corners and a car on EBAY. I tell everyone to buy corners off of ebay.. because you cant lose.. thats only 20 or so bux..... There is a lot I would do to look into buying a car on EBAY... I would want to see the car... talk to the owner... check the car out... as in get it inspected at a BMW dealer... or buy someone that knows more than I do. And I would want to drive the car more than once on more than one occasion... as to make sure it is reliable enough to deal with. Good luck..

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sporty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing to know. EBAY is the largest "seller" of automobiles in the world. More cars are sold on ebay than any dealer or dealer chain. All that really means is that many, many people buy and sell cars on ebay. Just like many who go to used car dealers or buy from private owners - some end up very happy and some don't!

My perspective as a private owner selling cars on ebay.
I have sold 2 cars on ebay. A 96 Land Cruiser and a 00 Lexus LX470. My reason for selling on ebay was simply to widen my audience. I found that it eliminated the hassle of having tire kickers come by my house just to have a look. If someone with a good feedback rating places a bid, then I consider them a serious buyer, especially since they are typically from a different state. In both cases I got what I was looking to get for my cars $$$ wise. In both cases I required payment within 5 days of the auction closing. Both were purchased by out of state buyers that drove up and drove home within the 5 day period. If i misrepresented the car then i would not have got paid and would have received negative feedback. I would say that the large majority of sellers on ebay are actually dealers. What you have to be careful about with dealers is that some will put no reserve on auctions but never sell the cars. More bidders typically means a higher sale value as the competitive "must win" phenominon or bidders kicks in. However, if a dealer sees that they are going to take a beating on the car they simply cancel the auction. Remember, the entire time the auction is listed the dealer is still fielding interest from actual customers coming to their retail location. If they are offered a reasonable price for the car they will take it and cancel the auction.

Buyers perspective on buying cars on ebay.
I have purchased 2 cars on ebay. One was a 01 BMW X5 3.0 and the other was a 97 VW Jetta (for my son). In both cases I got great deals and was very happy. I purchased the X5 sight unseen and had it shipped 2700 miles. The Jetta was only 500 miles away so I flew down and picked it up. The reason I purchased on ebay was because of the price. Resale values vary widely from state to state on specific cars. Supply and demand drives much of this. I purchased my 01 X5 (3.0, sport pkg, premium pkg, 65k miles) from a dealer in MA for 23500 which was 7k less than what i could get it for from a dealer in the Seattle area where X5's are hot items. I paid 1200 to ship it. The moment it arrived I washed it (open road transport makes your vehicle look like it was offroad for a month) and promply traded it in the same day (+5k) for a 01 x5 4.4 with 52k on it with upgraded wheels and a 3500 stereo system which I couldn't touch for less than 37k. My wife (the primary driver) didn't like the color combination (silver with tan interior) which was the ONLY reason I traded the car. The jetta was a faboulous deal as well.

Anyway - these were my buying and selling experiences on ebay. Would I do it again - ABSOLUTELY. Everytime I buy a car I will look to ebay first.
sporty2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
matt325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you so much for giving me your input. But I have one question. I've been looking at one particular car and I do not know what the reserve price means. What the reserve price and how do you meet it?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sporty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
i sent you a PM on this
sporty2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)