BMW Werkz banner

E46 Tire Wear

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  441tech 
#1 ·
Hey guys, has anyone witnessed excessive tire wear on both the rear tires? My 3er is equiped with factory sport suspension and the tires are incurring sharp wear on the inside at about a 45 degree angle. Ive had an alignment done three times... the first time by an after market tire shop the next two by the dealer. Still the same effect.

I have heard this could be the shocks but have also heard it could be something in the suspension bent. Can anyone help?

Greg 99 323i

#2 ·
it could be something bent but i doubt it since both are wearing, and an alignment wouldnt help you since its in the rear, and you dont align the rear. yes shocks will have that affect, wore out springs will affect the camber more-so than the shocks, shocks dont usually affect the camber too much

#3 ·
^ What he said, but I would like to add that it could just be the tires. Being that our cars are rear wheel drive, there will be more force applied to them, hence, making them more susceptible to wear. On my 328i, I've got snow tires. The ones in the front still have PLENTY of tread left, however, the rears are bare right in the middle. I'm assuming by centrifical force as I do alot of highway driving. Just something to think about.

Dough

#6 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Feb 24 2005, 06:48 PM
A 45 degree angle is a little extreme to be just the tires
[snapback]298680[/snapback]​
Good point... I kinda missed that.

#7 ·
Originally posted by doughboyea+Feb 24 2005, 09:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doughboyea @ Feb 24 2005, 09:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-e30fanm3@Feb 24 2005, 06:48 PM
A 45 degree angle is a little extreme to be just the tires
[snapback]298680[/snapback]​
Good point... I kinda missed that.
[snapback]298886[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Thanks alot guys...Youve been a big help in searching for the problem.

Any of you guys think it could be the bearings and or hub causing this?

#9 ·
I have been fighting with my dealer about this problem...my '02 330ci with sport package is on its 3rd set of rear tires, all because of the right rear wearing to the threads on the inside of the tire...I PAID for an alignment after the first right rear wore out and replaced with two new rears...and after 15k on the new ones, same thing happened. I've read where it might be camber? And i have to buy a camber kit?? Is this true?

#10 ·
Originally posted by lms20fan@Mar 26 2005, 08:11 PM
I have been fighting with my dealer about this problem...my '02 330ci with sport package is on its 3rd set of rear tires, all because of the right rear wearing to the threads on the inside of the tire...I PAID for an alignment after the first right rear wore out and replaced with two new rears...and after 15k on the new ones, same thing happened.  I've read where it might be camber?  And i have to buy a camber kit??  Is this true?
[snapback]319050[/snapback]​
Doesn't the sport suspension have -0.5 degree camber. This would cause more wear. I just can't remember if it is on the inside or the outside?

#12 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Mar 27 2005, 03:09 PM
it would be on the inside but i dont think the sport suspension has any more camber, and you wasted your money on the alignment cause that has nothing to do with the rear tires
[snapback]319451[/snapback]​
The second time I went in the dealer said it was the alignment again and wanted me to pay for it AGAIN...which I did not. Anyone have any guesses what the problem is then?

#13 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Feb 24 2005, 01:44 PM
it could be something bent but i doubt it since both are wearing, and an alignment wouldnt help you since its in the rear, and you dont align the rear. yes shocks will have that affect, wore out springs will affect the camber more-so than the shocks, shocks dont usually affect the camber too much
[snapback]298576[/snapback]​

E46 rear suspension is adjustable so you DO align the rear. Just thought I'd mention this.

DT

#15 ·
Originally posted by lms20fan+Mar 27 2005, 06:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lms20fan @ Mar 27 2005, 06:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-e30fanm3@Mar 27 2005, 03:09 PM
it would be on the inside but i dont think the sport suspension has any more camber, and you wasted your money on the alignment cause that has nothing to do with the rear tires
[snapback]319451[/snapback]​
The second time I went in the dealer said it was the alignment again and wanted me to pay for it AGAIN...which I did not. Anyone have any guesses what the problem is then?
[snapback]319645[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Where are you located? I believe if enough guys gang up one one dealer they would have to at least look for a solution. Maybe we're too scattered to make a real differance.

#16 ·
:beer
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool+Mar 28 2005, 12:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dirty_Tool @ Mar 28 2005, 12:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-e30fanm3@Feb 24 2005, 01:44 PM
[snapback]298576[/snapback]​

E46 rear suspension is adjustable so you DO align the rear. Just thought I'd mention this.

DT
[snapback]319905[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

dirty are you a tech? I did hear that the rear could be adjusted and required a four wheel alignment and not just a two.

#17 · (Edited)
I have noticed the insides of my rear tires wear faster too. I don't think I have the sport suspension though. The rims and tires are stock so I don't see that throwing it off. My buddy's 323i does the same thing. If you look at it from behind, you can see the camber causing the wheels to lean inwards at the top. I'm guessing it came from the factory like that?

#18 · (Edited)
clarkinc said:
:beer

DT
[snapback]319905[/snapback]​
[/b]

DT is right. I am a tech myself, and just rebuilt the front and rear suspension on my '99 323i. There are lower control arms in the rear for CAMBER adjustment. One end bolts towards the center of the car in front of the differential, and the other end bolts to the bottom of the wheel knuckle. The head of the bolt has an eccentric lobe on it between two stationary tabs on the lower control arm. Hence, when you rotate the bolt, the wheel camber will move positive or negative, since the eccentric will move the knuckle inboard or outboard.

#19 ·
Alignment 101

When I was in the dealerships and independent shops, I did a lot of alignments. 2-wheel alignments are becoming a thing of the past, due to come-backs for misalignment purposes. Front wheel drive cars HAVE to have a 4-wheel alignment because you align the front wheels to the rear wheels, and there is usually an adjustment for the rear camber--and sometimes toe as well. Vehicles with solid rear axles, such as trucks, can sometimes get away with a 2-wheel alignment because there really is nothing to align in the rear. Rear wheel and 4-wheel drive vehicles with independent suspension usually are set up in that the car is aligned "to itself." In any case, it is always important to not have any loose or bent suspension components before getting an alignment, otherwise, it will NEVER be right. The adjustments are small, and a worn ball joint could make the difference between a pull or no pull, or pre-mature tire wear.

Here's another thing: A Corvette will align in a different way that perhaps a previous year. A 323i may align differently than a 328i. A 1992 Ford Taurus will align completely different than 1995. My point is, you better have an alignment guy that knows what he's doing, since there is a program in today's high-tech alignment machines for all types of vehicles. There are step-by-step procedures to follow, and all parameters must be set up correctly and precisely. Aligning a car is somewhat of an art, it takes patience and the ability to stop and repair any damage or broken parts before proceeding. There are only 2 or 3 guys in Toledo I trust with my 3er, so if you know someone, great. If not, read on.

And another tip: Ask for a printout of your car's final alignment specs. when you pick it up. Most alignment machines don't have "fudge factor," so the shop won't be able to bullshit their way out of a proper alignment on your vehicle. Remember: Most shops are based on flat rates, which means quantity, not quality. Many times a properly done alignment will take longer that what your actually paying them, so a lot of places will cut corners to get you out the door. A printout will eliminate this most of the time. It will have the date, time, make, model, year, and detailed final alignment specs. from your vehicle. It would be really difficult for a shop to manipulate this. It's much easier to just do the alignment correctly. In fact, any reputable shop will be happy to explain how the printout works and what it means. Just be sure to look for the parameters in the "green." If any are in the "red," that means it still is not aligned correctly, and they should explain why. If they can't, refuse to accept the vehicle until it is right, or get the hell out of there 'cause chances are--they don't have any techs that truly know what they are doing.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

441tech

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.