BMW Werkz banner

E46 Maintenance.

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Mach 5 
#1 ·
Hi!! How are you? Can you guys please tell me how much the maintenance costs on the E46's (annually).

Any defects in those early models? I wouldn't think so since BMW is a superb car and is very reliable.

Thanks.
BYE.

#2 ·
While within warranty, repair costs are excellent (none). The number of problems are minimal as well. Once outside of warranty, expect every visit to run $300 - $500. You will replace the window regulators (hopefully under warranty).

The "window rattle" that you will start to hear after 1 year is really not the window at all. It's your door seal. You can get gumi-fledge (excuse the spelling) for about $7.

The dealer told me that the battery will fail after 3 years (batteries for the newer models 2002 - present are nearly impossible to find - $200 from the dealer).

Alternator - $600

Typical oil change -$60

Of course you can always go to a non-BMW repair shop and get the work done cheaper.
Your best bet is to work out a deal with the BMW mechanic once the warranty expires.

Fun car to own and drive, but cost a bit. :driving

#3 ·
Most dealers charge in the $200 range for the oil change on an E46. The parts alone are $40 if you buy them from the dealer. I may decide to extend my warrenty, not because they are unreliable cars but the repair costs are ridiculous from what I hear.

#4 ·
My dealer must be giving me a break. My oil changes have been in the $60 ball park. I get it done every 7500 miles. Now if you have them do the micro air filters etc, then yes...you are talking a couple hundred bucks. If you are going strictly by the maintenance schedule, then they are doing more then just an oil change.

As an updated to my previous post, I went by the dealer this morning, and was informed that BMW has discontinued selling the gumi-fledge. They stopped about 3 months ago. The parts guy said they guys in the shop are using some other stuff to lub the door seals now. He didn't know what it was called, but said BMW doesn't sell it.

I installed a new window regulator this afternoon. Costs $96 from the dealer, $72 online. Might as well add window regulators to general maintenance costs. you'll replace one a year on average. If the dealer installs it, expect to pay $300+ a pop. :driving

#5 ·
Hi!! How are you? What are window regulators? Are they the things that roll the windows up and down?

So it's $60 for oil change, about $75 for the window regulators, and that's about it?
A couple of dollars for the battery (that's normal)?

Thanks.
BYE.

#7 ·
Read this and other e46 forums. There are several things that seem to go wrong with most early 330i- I don't know about all e46. My car has been well maintained by the dealer and has had the following repaired, or planned to repair, under warranty. Apparently you can expect most to happen eventually.

Sticky Thottle pedal
Cam position sensor
Window bolt failure
Control arm bushings

I expect window regulator next. I enjoy the car, but probably will trade after warranty.

#10 ·
Toyota and Honda are appliances similar to a refrigerator. They just work and do so for a long time. They do not provide the driving experiance that you will find in a BMW. BMW's are above average as far a reliability is concerned. I have owner my 2000 e46 since early 2002 and in the almost 3 years I have been driving it I have had the cam sensor go out (Fixed under warranty), a lower control arm ball joint fail (My fault), and the fuzzy trim on the window seal come off (3m weatherstrip adhesive fixed that) and little else. You do have to do the maintainance if you want the car to last. Oil changes are $68 at my dealer, and service is reasonable.
Ben

#12 ·
People tend to drive a BMW harder than they would an Accord. And when you do push the limits of the vehicle things tend to break. I do drive my car fairly aggressively and have not had major failures.
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.