BMW Werkz banner

E46 intermittent start - won't crank

17K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  souplady56 
#1 ·
Hi,
I've got a BMW 320d SE 2002 model. It has an intermittent fault. I get in the car using the remote unlock on the key. Put the key in the ignition, turn it until the DDE light goes out, turn it again and sometimes it starts first time, and others it's completely dead - doesn't crank or anything.

When it doesn't start, I take the key back to off and try again. Sometimes it starts sometimes is doesnt. I've been sat there for two or three minutes before it decides to start. And when it does, its without any hesitation.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

#2 ·
Could be many things, but sounds like the ignition switch is playing up,its not the barrel that you put your key in, its a box next to the barrel, you have to remove the steering column cowl top/bottom to access it .

I'm not saying this is the problem but just sounds as if it maybe, getting a diagnostics may or may not pull up what it is...

#4 ·
No, I wouldnt have thought its the transponder,if it was that it wouldnt start at all, on some models the fob battery charges from the ignition barrel, if yours does ? maybe that could be a possiblity, I cant elaborate much further as Im not sure if you have the direct recharge on you car or not....

#6 ·
So its not the key then, so back to my first conclusion ignition switch, hang around somebody else may have a different idea...

It would be worth checking all of your conections to the battery and starter motor in the mean time..

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Just to close this off, this issue is now resolved.

To give you a bit more background this was a 'new' car that I bought second hand from a used car dealer (not BMW). So I had to go along with how the dealer wanted to resolve this. He was convinced it was the key, which now doesn't start the car at all. So he ordered a new key from BMW. And sure enough, the new key starts the car first time and the old key doesn't start the car at all.

The old key works the remote lock/unlock fine, and it will also open the doors manually...

How very odd!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.