E46 Intermitent rough Idel and loss of power - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mgabriel is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E46 Intermitent rough Idel and loss of power

Hi Guys,

I have a problem that has me stumped with my wife's 03' 325i. This is an intermittent problem happening mostly after the car has sit in idle for a few minutes. The car seems to begin idleing very badly and a loss of power. The odd thing is, after driving it at a cruising speed for a few more minutes, the power regains and it drives smoothly again. There has only been a time or two where it didn't clear up and I basically unplugged the battery for a few minutes and this fixed the problem, until the next time of course. Could this be an ECU problem since disconnecting and reconnecting the battery seems to work, or what are some of your thoughts. Injectors are clean by the way.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Gabriel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Neutral Member

Youngproexec is on a distinguished road
Hey how are you doing. I think you should check your ignition coils, because they can cause the cylinder to misfire, and result in power loss. Also, the rough idle can be caused from a vacumn leak. I would check the intake elbow, located between the MAF and the throttle body intake boot. I had the same problem with my car, and these were the issues.

I spend at least 2 hours a day cleaning my car
#3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the advice, I will check both these things this afternoon. If it were the two seperate things, would it simply be a coincedense that they always happen at exactly the same time? None the less, I will check the coils and the MAF area.

Thank you very much for the help and guidance.

Michael
#4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Neutral Member

Youngproexec is on a distinguished road
Lol i've wondered the exact same thing . I just couldnt understand how these both happened at the same time. I replaced about three ignition coils which got me back some power, and the intake elbow. This is a common place for tears , and will cause SEVERE rough idling. And also, it happens after the car has been running for about 2 to 3 minutes.

Let me show you a pic of what im taking about after i post this.

I spend at least 2 hours a day cleaning my car

Last edited by Youngproexec; 11-08-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: I need to include a pic
#5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Youngproexec,

Thanks for the advice, I checked out the MAF as well as most of the rest of the housing and throttle body. There are no leaks and everything seems to be fine. I didn't have time but will check the ignition coil tomorrow. The problem is getting worse and like I mentioned in an earlier post, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected and it has been fine ever since. Problem is, I never know if that will bandaid the problem for 5 minutes or 5 weeks.

Thanks again for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)