e46 entry - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2003, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Snowjob is an unknown quantity at this point
this is a little random bu does anyone have a photo of the 99 e46 keyless entry system?

thanks (i mean like the remote)
Snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Fangs will become famous soon enoughFangs will become famous soon enough
I'll see if I can take a pic of mine soon...

Parallel question, 99 was the last year they used this type key. The 00 models used a newer key fob that was easier to use (the bmw symbol in the center is color and easy to find while still in your pocket). Does anyone know if the newer key fob will work with the 99 E46???? I have heard both yes and no, so I'm looking for someone who has actually done it...

Cheers.
Fangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Yeah, I'm pretty confused too. I have a friend with a mid 90's 5series and her keyeless entry is a key with three black buttons at the base of it. Then last night my friend took me out in his '99 3 coupe (old body style) and his keyless entry was a regular BMW key with a small BMW symbol in the middle, and then another "clicker" that was black and had these horendously ugly light blue buttons on them. I was sure that it was an aftermarket system but he said it wasn't.

But these days they have the controls on the key around the BMW symbol, right? It's confusing... some pictures? Ahh please!
Old 12-20-2003, 04:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
woobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
i have aaked this question to bmwna before. and what they said was it was impossible to switch between keys. (i personally think it would work if you take it apart and do some custom job but i dont think thats really worth it)

to my knowledge there are 4 recent keys. first are the new 7 series keys. they are square shaped, very much like the audi keys. the second key is what everyone has now. diamond shaped with the bmw logo in color in the middle, with a button on top and bottom. third key is the big all black key; it has 3 black buttons, one with smooth and ridges that symbolizes the bmw logo. and fourth is the key that only has a bmw colored roundel button, which is the button for the little lightbulb on the key. when you push it the light turn on on the key. (this key was conjunction with the bmw alarm system (the one with the extra remote). This key came with our 2000 M roadster.

woobiee - Anamorphic Cycle
woobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
anyone have any pics though?
Old 12-26-2003, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
WHAT THE? I posted a pic here earlier today??!!?!?!? Where did it go?
Old 12-26-2003, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
there was some server trouble a little earlier.. could u post it again? ghead
Old 12-26-2003, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Yeah, But I'm out of town right now... I'll be home late on the 28th... My Avatar is acting funky too...
Old 12-26-2003, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
The avatars, posts, and post counts have all been bugging out lately. It's all good, it seems to be fixed (they're moving servers or something, cam posted about it)
Old 12-27-2003, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Reposting...
Attached Thumbnails
e46 entry-107_0718_1.jpg  
Old 12-27-2003, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Argh, it didn't work. The pic is coming through as an 'X'... What's going on???
Old 12-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ahhh i dont know but i want to see it after all this time and it doesnt work. email it to me if that's easier snowjob94@yahoo.com or maybe someone knows why it isnt working??
Old 12-27-2003, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
woobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
left is the current new models. diamond shaped. (i think from 1999 on get these keys)

right is the old style. i think its from 1999 and below.

no pictured: "lit key", basically it looks like half a diamond with a single bmw logo in the center. when the logo is pushed, a small orange/yellow bulb lights up. the bulb is embedded on top of the key's base/handle, and it lights up the metal part of the key.

"new E65 7" gets a special key. rectangular in shape like audi/vw/benz keys. i think its a blue colored with silver accents.

woobiee - Anamorphic Cycle
woobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
HOLY COW, that pic is BIG.

The one on the right looks exactly like the BASE of my key, but the metal part (actual key) looks like the one on the left (with the channel.) Hmph, interesting.

btw, I have a 99 323i.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ahh, thanks for taking the pics and posting. Seems a little strange that they would have updated the body style and everything else with the E46 and not changed the key at the same time? Fangs says he's got a 323i which is E46.. anyone else have a 99/00 and can relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)