e46 Coupe window not closing properly - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tony325ci_51 is on a distinguished road
e46 Coupe window not closing properly

Recently my driver's side window (frameless on the coupe) will often not close properly. It goes high enough, but at the wrong angle, leaving a small gap, with the top of the window hitting the trim strip instead of tucking in behind it tightly to the seal.

It's ok if I shut the door and push the window in at the same time, it's often ok when driving at low speed, but will almost never close properly at higher speeds, due to wind I guess.

There appears to be a little play at the top when rocking the window in and out. Obviously this wouldn't happen if the window had a frame / guide, as in the saloon / sedan.

Anyone have experience of this problem, or can offer any advice on what part may need tightening or replacing to cure it, before I take the door panel off and look around ?
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
spfdfanatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
Recently my driver's side window (frameless on the coupe) will often not close properly. It goes high enough, but at the wrong angle, leaving a small gap, with the top of the window hitting the trim strip instead of tucking in behind it tightly to the seal.

It's ok if I shut the door and push the window in at the same time, it's often ok when driving at low speed, but will almost never close properly at higher speeds, due to wind I guess.

There appears to be a little play at the top when rocking the window in and out. Obviously this wouldn't happen if the window had a frame / guide, as in the saloon / sedan.

Anyone have experience of this problem, or can offer any advice on what part may need tightening or replacing to cure it, before I take the door panel off and look around ?

I recently had to rplace my window regulator, and now I have the exact same issue. Don't have a solution, but would be really interested to see if someone actually does!!
spfdfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
If I get no info I'll just have to take off the door panel and investigate.
I'll post details, hopefully photos and tools required with any tips acquired along the way (if not here then I'll post a link here to the info).

We've had snow at the weekend and it's still pretty icy at the moment though, so it may have to wait a while until it gets a bit warmer at the time of day I get home from work. Don't like working on the car with numb fingers.

I already have removing the door panels on my "to-do" list as I have rather nice wooden interior trim panels and door handles to fit. I've changed the dash panels, gear knob and surround already, an improvement on the old grey plastic trim I think.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Here's the cause of my window problem:

E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Coupe window not closing properly
Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mahmoudinq8 is on a distinguished road
Post The solution for all coupe windows problems..

DIY for fixing the rattle/wind noise for e46 coupe..

DIY:: Window Regulator and Wind/rattle Noise Fix on Highway - E46Fanatics
thanx to summit425

Another great DIY thanx to alb89n without taking out the interior door panels..

Window seals...easy dyi or not? - E46Fanatics

Hope this will help you fixing the problem..
mahmoudinq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)