E46 Cooling System Issue - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zapastor is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy E46 Cooling System Issue

Hi there,

Cooling system issues again. I recently had to change the reservoir when all the coolant leaked out.

Today I noticed steam coming from the engine bay. The temperature gauge was right in the middle but when I checked under the hood I realized that the fluid was coming through the bleed screw. I tried to screw it out but it broke. A piece was left inside but the fluid was still escaping through the small slot.

When the engine is revved the expulsion of fluid almost disappears but as soon as it return to idle the fluid resumes escaping from the bleed screw.

What is happening and what do i need to try? Naturally I will have to replace the bleed screw but what else would be a possible cause. How much does the radiator cap figure into the eqaution? I notice that it is a bit tight.

Thanks for your response.

Zapastor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Neutral Member

mtccl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapastor View Post
Hi there,

Cooling system issues again. I recently had to change the reservoir when all the coolant leaked out.

Today I noticed steam coming from the engine bay. The temperature gauge was right in the middle but when I checked under the hood I realized that the fluid was coming through the bleed screw. I tried to screw it out but it broke. A piece was left inside but the fluid was still escaping through the small slot.

When the engine is revved the expulsion of fluid almost disappears but as soon as it return to idle the fluid resumes escaping from the bleed screw.

What is happening and what do i need to try? Naturally I will have to replace the bleed screw but what else would be a possible cause. How much does the radiator cap figure into the eqaution? I notice that it is a bit tight.

Zapastor
Do not drive until you replace the bleed screw. Your sucking and blowing air through the bleed screw which is causing an air pocket in the coolant circuit and can lead to overheating. The bleed screw has a little slot in it to allow the fluid to bleed without removing the screw entirely. Remember lefty loosy righty tighty.

Good Luck!!

2002 BMW 330XI
1988 Porsche 944
#3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Smile Thanks a MCCL

This forum is the best. Will have to wait until Monday to do that but really thankful for the advice which i will act upon as soon at Life Quality BMW opens on Monday. Thanks mtccl
#4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Neutral Member

mtccl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This forum is the best. Will have to wait until Monday to do that but really thankful for the advice which i will act upon as soon at Life Quality BMW opens on Monday. Thanks mtccl
Glad to help.

The radiator cap is tight because the system is getting overpressured when air is sucked through the bleed screw (to answer your last question)

When you replace the bleed screw make sure you replace any lost fluid, elevate the front of the car as high as possible, run the car to normal temp (to open the thermostat) and then slowly open the bleed screw to release any trapped air. During this process make sure you continue to keep the fluid full to the max mark in the overflow tank. Do this procedures a couple of times (over several days) after the car has sat and warmed to normal temp after you replace the bleed screw. This will ensure you have relieved all air pockets from your system. Elevating the front of the car allows the air to move to the highest point on the engine which is the bleed screw.

Good Luck!!

2002 BMW 330XI
1988 Porsche 944
#5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
That's wonderful..rearing to go but have to restrain myself until Monday. Thanks again
#6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I just want to stress how important it is that you don't drive it out in these conditions. Air in the system is a big no-no. Best of luck dealing with the shop on Monday.

#7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a million..went and got the the entire top radiator hose but bought two extra bleed screws....Thanks to the help on this forum that issue has been taken care of. Now I am going to change the valve cover gasket....shouldn't we advocate that this be a recall issue. Oil dripping on t he exhaust is a fire hazard....What do you think?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:33 AM
n00b

bobdisk is an unknown quantity at this point
More Problems! Yesterday my expansion tank exploded!! Its a 2000 323Ci, manual, where a single electric fan does both engine cooling and AC. I was in slow moving traffic for 10 mins or so, the temp guage suddenly went towards the red, then the expansion tank exploded with an almighty bang! I found that the fan was not running. I think I have got away with the head gasket etc as it is running ok after repairs, new tank, fan and rad (that split at one end joint) I thought that there was a pressure relief, but cant find it. Has anyone had this happen on theirs?
#9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
All of the things you mentioned have been know to happen. The cars of those years don't have robust cooling systems. Expansion tanks, thermostats radiators and water pumps all need to be replaced at some point.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
n00b

technics1210 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdisk View Post
More Problems! Yesterday my expansion tank exploded!! Its a 2000 323Ci, manual, where a single electric fan does both engine cooling and AC. I was in slow moving traffic for 10 mins or so, the temp guage suddenly went towards the red, then the expansion tank exploded with an almighty bang! I found that the fan was not running. I think I have got away with the head gasket etc as it is running ok after repairs, new tank, fan and rad (that split at one end joint) I thought that there was a pressure relief, but cant find it. Has anyone had this happen on theirs?
yea man i had that problem in my 2000model318 ci,so i changed everything then it happened again,this time i cracked the cylinder head,so 4 month later i got it all done again ,c head,gasket,pump,rad,stat,but my cabin heater never worked since,now its over heating again and all in the space of 1 year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SOMEONE PLEASE HELP
#11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
n00b

technics1210 is on a distinguished road
Angry overheating

Quote:
Hi there,

Zapastor
Thats always happening to me,the last time i blew a rad,to much pressure ya know.anyway got it fixed and then again i blew my cylinder head,cracked it clean,so got new cylinder head and gasket pump rad bottle stat everything!and now my cabin heater wont work and guess what ????????? overheating again ,iv spent 4000 euros on repairs what will i do????i love my car but i hate my motor
#12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
When replacing cooling system parts, I suggest a look for higher quality. Also, it's very important to make sure all air is bled out of the system when it's refilled. As to no heat, you may need a new heater core.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
n00b

tony1404 is on a distinguished road
glad to hear im not the only one with that problems.i drive a 325i e30 4 door. lovely cars. also had remote tank leak on the senson,fixed that then the bleed screw also leaked, after battling to replace it the flippen two pipes going inside the car to the heater started leaking. all that now fixed. no the radiator started leakingat the bottom left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! endless you know. going to get that fixed asap. im a bit new here.
#14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1404 View Post
glad to hear im not the only one with that problems.i drive a 325i e30 4 door. lovely cars. also had remote tank leak on the senson,fixed that then the bleed screw also leaked, after battling to replace it the flippen two pipes going inside the car to the heater started leaking. all that now fixed. no the radiator started leakingat the bottom left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! endless you know. going to get that fixed asap. im a bit new here.
Have you checked to ensure that it is at the expansion tank which is to the left of the radiator that is leaking?
#15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
n00b

tony1404 is on a distinguished road
Smile

jip i did check that thanks. it was leaking there but i did fix it. i only have the leak on the radiator left. if i may ask, do you know anything of that stupid cooling fan behind the radiator? i have the car for about six months or so and i saw it was welded. i presume its not supposed to be like that. it turns permanently with the motor, makes a huge noise and i quess it robs the motor of power? this is all new to me as i use to drive a vw jetta1. any help will do. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)