BMW Werkz banner

E46 318 Ci Rattle...

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  peterkulesza 
#1 ·
1st of all hello to everyone,i am a frequent viewing but 1st time poster :)

i have a yr 2000 318 ci

it needs your help!!!!

in the morning after a long night in the garage,,when i start the car,,it sounds like the 4 cylinder 318 i that it should be,,sounds just dandy
but
after the oil has heated a bit,it gets a bit rattly..
if i turn off the car and wait 10,20,30 40 minutes etc,,,,,when i re start it,,it rattles like a diesel...all from the top end,,,,but not like a click,,like an injector
it rattles like the hydraulic tappets....
if i allow the car to cool for a few hrs,,when i re start it,,it sounds ok again..

i have re placed the oil 4 times in the 3 mnths since i bought it...
i have put in 0w 30..5w 30...15w 50[to try a thick oil]
and have now put back in 5w30...all being castrol or mobil synthetic oil

by replacing the oil,it all sounds ok for a few hrs,,but then it is back to normal
a rattle on start up...
the car itself goes like a dream looks like a dream
what should i do???
get new hydraulic lifters?? or do i need a whole rebuild? the cam sounds ok,,,the is no constant ticking sound when driving ,,,just a tappety sound at low tick over,,when i drive it,,it has all but gone,,maybe a small ticking,,only to my ears :) :haha

See less See more
#2 ·
ticking sound is usually lifters, and you can drive for a long time before this develops into a problem.

i am not sure if the m40 motor has a hydraulic timing tensioner: if it does this may be at fault, and requires replacement asap.

i woudl not put 15w oil in it, too dense especially in winter.

#3 ·
hi

i have taken out the thicker oil,,and put the 5w30 back in..it was only a trial to see if it made any difference,,which it didnt

it is also an m43 engine...does this have a hydraulic timing tensioner??

also ,,when the engine is warm,,it ticks a bit,,but only on idle,,not while driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.