e46 3 series WONT CRANK SOMETIMES,INTERMITTENT STARTING - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
manhuwa is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation e46 3 series WONT CRANK SOMETIMES,INTERMITTENT STARTING

Hi all

Please those who know please help, i have a year 2000 BMW 3 series E46 which has starting problems, basically the car doesnt start or crank , you turn on the key, all dashlights come on, horn, radio ,windows work, but it wont crank to start, i then bought new battery same story. In the beginning, by removing and re inserting key back into ignition 3-5 times car would fire up immediately. now car wont start, even after days of trying, it starts intermittently maybe after trying 40 times, it fires up immediately with no problems,but it can be days before i can start it , bump starting or push starting still it wont start,if its in the mood not to start.

so far i have bought new battery, and now i ordered a new key, still same problem, i then wired the starter to crank without needing the key, the car cranks when i hot wire the starter direct, however it wont start still, so the starter is ok,because anytime i crank it using wires the starter works.

On occassions when the key works, starting the car direct with wiring to the starter fires up the car immediately... SO IN A NUT SHELL, THE CAR CAN START SOMETIMES WITH KEY OR BY DIRECT WIRING TO STARTER, AND SOMETIMES IT WONT START BY KEY OR EVEN CRANK. USING THE DIRECT WIRING TO STARTER THE CAR CAN CRANK ANYTIME I TRY THAT BUT WONT START IF THE KEY STARTING ISNT WORKING.

new key, new battery, starter checked, what else could this be......please help, im on the brink. I am thinking it could be the ignition switch , or is it called the ignition barrel, is there anyone who had a similar problem or knows anything about this

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
one thread will do fine thank you.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Its either the ignition switch,not the barrel where you put the key in,there's a switch behind that, you have to drop the steering cowl and there you will see a box with wires thats the switch or the crankshaft sensor is shot, hard to say without diagnostics but I would be heading for the crankshaft sensor.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
n00b

Matt839 is on a distinguished road
@manhuwa Have you managed to fix this as I have exactly the same problem?!
Thanks
#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 02:10 PM
n00b

grthigpen is on a distinguished road
i have same problem too!!! anyone found problem yet?
#6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:04 PM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

** IF any of youse having these problems have aftermarket keyless remotes/aftermarket anti-theft systems fitted on your bimmers; that would be my first line of suspect.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM
n00b

no all stock
#8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by grthigpen View Post
no all stock
I have to address you individually because even if u display similar symptoms, your issues & corresponding solutions will be different.

so, grthigpen... when was your last tune-up please? what if any has been replaced?
#9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 AM
n00b

Hi grthigpen,

My problem was solved by getting a new key. I've learned that there's two 'code' chips in the key one for the remote door look which can be reprogrammed by us lay people. And the other is used by the alarm system when you try to start the car. Seems that this one failed on my key. I was initially confused as I could open and close all the doors using the remote lock. But then I learned about the second transponder in the key which starts the ignition.

HTH

Matt
#10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 AM
n00b

Ibjac is on a distinguished road
I have just experienced exactly the same problem on my 1994 318i convertible. It has 152,000 miles (I bought it with 145,000 in January) and it has been running well until yesterday.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 AM
n00b

UPDATE: its not the key, it will do it with the backup key. So its the starter or the security system. Can you bypass the demobilizer?
#12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 AM
n00b

Yet again this problem manifested itself on my car. However, this time when the key was tunred to the ingnition position, I could here one loud click from the engine. Whilst the key was in the ingnition poistion the battery light came on. However, the battery charge level indicator was green. I decided to jump off another car to see if the battery level indicator was faulty. When connecting the jump lead to the positive jump bolt in the engine compartment I noticed that the previous owner had put the nut on upside down (it's a hollow nut so the contact wasn't great) and it was loose! Refitting the nut the right way up and tightning it solved the problem!
#13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM
n00b

allancharlton is on a distinguished road
i have the same problem......i hear it could be the ews module??
#14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 AM
n00b

trayton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhuwa View Post
Hi all

Please those who know please help, i have a year 2000 BMW 3 series E46 which has starting problems, basically the car doesnt start or crank , you turn on the key, all dashlights come on, horn, radio ,windows work, but it wont crank to start, i then bought new battery same story. In the beginning, by removing and re inserting key back into ignition 3-5 times car would fire up immediately. now car wont start, even after days of trying, it starts intermittently maybe after trying 40 times, it fires up immediately with no problems,but it can be days before i can start it , bump starting or push starting still it wont start,if its in the mood not to start.

so far i have bought new battery, and now i ordered a new key, still same problem, i then wired the starter to crank without needing the key, the car cranks when i hot wire the starter direct, however it wont start still, so the starter is ok,because anytime i crank it using wires the starter works.

On occassions when the key works, starting the car direct with wiring to the starter fires up the car immediately... SO IN A NUT SHELL, THE CAR CAN START SOMETIMES WITH KEY OR BY DIRECT WIRING TO STARTER, AND SOMETIMES IT WONT START BY KEY OR EVEN CRANK. USING THE DIRECT WIRING TO STARTER THE CAR CAN CRANK ANYTIME I TRY THAT BUT WONT START IF THE KEY STARTING ISNT WORKING.

new key, new battery, starter checked, what else could this be......please help, im on the brink. I am thinking it could be the ignition switch , or is it called the ignition barrel, is there anyone who had a similar problem or knows anything about this

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
I have the exact same problem with 2001 bmw 330ci, it did the same thing witth a few trys and ended up now not starting at all after being stuck for hours..the stereo is stuck off and thats nornally turned on through the ignition ive replaced the switch and it still dosnt work.. also my key has gone dead now have got the alarm off but wondering if the stock imob is still active.. what sorted ur problem in the end?
#15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM
n00b

Dirty Firefighter is on a distinguished road
Same

My 04 325XI is doing the same thing. I was told that you need to have the codes pulled to find out what the problem is. The system is complex and it could be a number of things. One could throw thousands at it to replace every part. Super frustrating. Any where from a ten dollar part to a $600 starter replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)