BMW Werkz banner

Dsc & Abs Dash Lights On

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  boaz 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so my apologies if I am not following proper protocol in asking some questions. I have a 2000 E46 323i and both of my DSC and ABS dash lights have come on and as to be expected both my ABS and traction control are no longer working. It is my understanding that it may be the ABS speed sensor. If so, what wheel would I find it on? I understand that all four wheels have speed sensors on them. If this does not sound like a speed sensor can anyone provide some potential fixes.

I don’t know if this would have caused the problem, but I put on new set of 18" BMW M3 performance package wheels on the car a year ago with no problems until now. Just a thought.

Please provide any insight you may have as I would like to fix the problem my self before spending the Big Bucks at the dealer.

Thank you

Zane Zwerenz

#2 ·
I wish I could help you...I've just finished 1 month of hell trying to get my DSC fixed under warranty....probably not related but they found mine to be a wire grounding out occasionally causing the DSC computer to fail.

When they started to check they first re-calibrated and then replaced the steering sensor. They then checked the logs on the wheel sensors to ensure they were working...finally they replaced the traction control computer itself. I believe this part cost about £1000 (UK pounds). They were about to move onto to replacing the Yaw sensor computer when they found the bad wire...30mmm of tape later and it's fixed.

All in all good luck...I wish you the best for this...

#3 ·
Trigati,

What kind of problems did you had when it is not working, also did u ask them do they have to make you wait 4 one month until they find the wire?

Ali.

Originally posted by Trigati@Nov 9 2004, 01:49 PM
I wish I could help you...I've just finished 1 month of hell trying to get my DSC fixed under warranty....probably not related but they found mine to be a wire grounding out occasionally causing the DSC computer to fail.

When they started to check they first re-calibrated and then replaced the steering sensor. They then checked the logs on the wheel sensors to ensure they were working...finally they replaced the traction control computer itself. I believe this part cost about £1000 (UK pounds). They were about to move onto to replacing the Yaw sensor computer when they found the bad wire...30mmm of tape later and it's fixed.

All in all good luck...I wish you the best for this...
[snapback]227322[/snapback]​

#4 ·
The problems faced when it wasn't working was just no traction control or ABS...so wheelspin and locking brakes on loose surfaces.

I travel for work and could only let them have the car every other day rather than for a continuous period. They would change a part or configure something, test drive it, it would not fail so they'd give it back...It would then fail for me. They said they had to follow the factory support technicians advise on what to change and when so the costs where covered by warranty.

The only reason they finally discovered the wire was they loaned me a good car for one week. During that week they sent out their sales staff in the car each night. On the last day of the week the salesman who drove the car was rather large and the system failed everytime he moved in his seat, braked or cornered hard. At that point they stripped out the seat to check the electrics and disciovered this wire on the loom along transmission tunnel?

See http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23633

#6 ·
Thank you for all of your feedback. My lights went on one day off the next, for about a week. Now they are on all the time. When you changed your brake fluid, did you do a complete flush? If so is there a write up on how to do this properly?

Thanks

Zane

#9 ·
Originally posted by zjz4476@Nov 11 2004, 09:46 AM
Thank you for all of your feedback. My lights went on one day off the next, for about a week. Now they are on all the time. When you changed your brake fluid, did you do a complete flush? If so is there a write up on how to do this properly?

Thanks

Zane
[snapback]228632[/snapback]​

http://www.trackhaus.com/category-exec/category_id/7

I bought my brake bleeder from trackhaus!
Great investment, I changed my brake fluid on both my 318i and 330i!
They give good directions, however if you are not mechanically inclined take it to a shop and get it done.
Brake fluid should be changed once every two years!
With the brake bleeder it is easy and actually fun to do!
There are some tricks to doing the job right!
Good luck.

#10 ·
Originally posted by zjz4476@Nov 8 2004, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so my apologies if I am not following proper protocol in asking some questions. I have a 2000 E46 323i and both of my DSC and ABS dash lights have come on and as to be expected both my ABS and traction control are no longer working. It is my understanding that it may be the ABS speed sensor. If so, what wheel would I find it on? I understand that all four wheels have speed sensors on them. If this does not sound like a speed sensor can anyone provide some potential fixes.

I don’t know if this would have caused the problem, but I put on new set of 18" BMW M3 performance package wheels on the car a year ago with no problems until now. Just a thought.

Please provide any insight you may have as I would like to fix the problem my self before spending the Big Bucks at the dealer.

Thank you

Zane Zwerenz
[snapback]226844[/snapback]​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.