DIY Battery Replacement Instructions? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 99 BMW 328i
Photos:
comncense is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to comncense Send a message via Yahoo to comncense Send a message via Skype™ to comncense
DIY Battery Replacement Instructions?

Hey guys, I have a 99 328i and I need to change the battery in it. Normally I'd let the guys at the store do it for me, but since the car is dead in my garage, that's not an option. I tried searching thru the forums to see if I could find some instructions but didn't really see anything. I know the battery is in the trunk but is it a pretty straight forward way or replacing the battery?
comncense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
exjarhead328 is an unknown quantity at this point
See "Battery Replacement" on page 2 of this forum. It's simple.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Send a message via AIM to comncense Send a message via Yahoo to comncense Send a message via Skype™ to comncense
Actually it was pretty simple until I noticed all of the corrosion on the negative post and cable. I've tried everything from coke, Liquid Wrench, WD40 and nothing I've tried has made the cable budge from the post. I was able take the washer and bolt off of it but that's it, but at this point I'm stuck. Right now i'm considering just removing the entire negative battery cable from the car along with the dead battery and just purchasing a new negative cable. Hopefully that wont run me that much money. Also, I'll have to figure out a way to get that tightly screwed bolt unscrewed from the chassis so that I can even take the cable off...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Did you try pulling the bolt out of the clamp and working it open with a slot screwdriver or something of the sort? It might be enough to dislodge it. Then you could clean it up after getting it off the battery and re-use it
Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Yeah, this morning I ended up disconnecting the battery cable from the car and now I just have the dead battery with the neg. cable attached to it. I've tried everything possible to get it off of the post and it seems like it's not going to move without me actually breaking the casing of the battery. So from this point I'm searching for another neg. cable. I was wondering if I can just go to an auto parts shop and buy one, I know it's not going to be the same as the OEM one, but would it matter?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 325i/2001
Photos:
rockblock is on a distinguished road
Battery DIY

Here's an excellent DIY link with pics:

2007/02/21 AutoZone Duralast 49-DL

Go to the end of the page...you'll find about 50 step-by-step pics.
rockblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)