Differential Out of the Car - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kingo328 is on a distinguished road
Differential Out of the Car

I have a 2000 328i, sedan, auto trans, 116k miles.
I have had this clunk the the rear end since I bought it at 60k miles. At that time I suspected the differential so I took it to a gear and diff shop but they could not find a problem. I was hoping it would get worse so a shop can diagnose it but it hasnt.

I've had the car on jack stands for a week now, checking everything from the trans output flange to the rear hubs and all bearings, bushings, u-joints, guido, and flanges along the way. Subframe is solid (thank goodness). All bushings including suspension bushings, diff mount bushings and subframe bushings look good.

I've also had the car on ramps several times so I could watch the diff, suspension etc as my wife shifts from reverse to drive to reverse repeatedly with the engine running. Obviously I trust her with my life. The diff does not move around proving the bushings are good.

There are no unusual movements or noises except the clunk coming from the differential.

Now I have the diff out of the car and the rear cover off. The only play is between the ring gear and the input pinion gear. And the clunk (with the diff out of the car the clunk now sounds more like a clink) is audible when the input flange is moved back and forth. There is about 1/16" of play in the input shaft...maybe a little more. The side pinions are very tight on the side gears....you can feel the teeth meshing.

Anybody know what the clearance spec is between the input pinion and the ring gear?
kingo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kingo328 is on a distinguished road
Well, I've taken the diff to 2 shops and they both say its good.

I have a new rear diff bushing to install but I cant get the old one out. I've tried using a ball joint service kit but it wont work due to lack of space.

Any tips/ideas?
kingo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
grandmaster is on a distinguished road
Hi Kingo328,

Any luck with your car. We have the same problem with our 328CI with the steptronic and only 50k miles. We have had the entire rear of the car taken apart. Bushings are good. Diff mount is good. Put new trailing bushings in. Had the new output flange installed. Changed the transmission and diff fluid. Had the differential taken apart/inspected. Said it was fine (very minor play which was tightened). Had the transmission module memory cleared.

Is yours only clunking when coming to a stop and hitting the accelerator? Can you describe the symptoms?

Only things that are left for us are replacing the transmision, differential, new transmission module software etc. It's been very frustrating.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)