BMW Werkz banner

Dealer Rip - Battery and Radio Reset

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dakbimmer 
#1 ·
Warning to anyone whose battery is about to go...

Back in January I needed to replace my car battery on my 99 323i with 60K miles. My local Sears couldn't do it but I found a local BMW mechanic who said he could for $140. The dealer, farther away, wanted $210. My BMW mechanic warned that I may need to get the radio code for my car. Even though the car manual said there is no code for the radio I called the dealer just to make sure. They said that there was a code and that if my local repair man changed the battery, I would still need to go to the dealer and fork over $40 for them to reset it as they wouldn't release the code without the car present. So rather than getting the battery cheaper and still having to trod accross town to the dealer, I opted to just go to the dealer. Here's the kicker... after the $210 service, I asked for the radio code for the future. The service rep politely said, "the entire service department learned something new today. There are no radio codes for the e46." I'm sure glad I taught something new to the Orlando Fields BMW dealership at my expense! I wrote BMW NA and got no response. :pissed2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.