Daytime running lights with automatic headlamp control - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brentdog is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Daytime running lights with automatic headlamp control

So I recently had the dealer turn on the daytime running lights feature on my 2004 330Ci (for safety and insurance discount). However, I'm seeing some odd behavior with respect to the automatic headlamp control, which I've always used. Normally, the automatic headlamp control turns on the headlamps in low light situations and turns them off in bright light situations. Since I've had the daytime running lights feature turned on, the lights are always on whenever the automatic headlamp control is used regardless of the ambient light level. These are the full headlamps, not the daytime lamps (high-beams at low voltage). The only way to actually get the daytime running lights to work is to turn the lights off (zero position on dash selector). I was expecting that with the daytime running lights and automatic headlamp control that during bright light, the daytime running lights would be on, and during low light, it would automatically switch to the regular lights (and vice versa). I'm addicted to the automatic headlamp control, so I really don't want to have to manually control the lights with the selector to get this to work properly.

Is the behavior I'm seeing correct? Can anyone confirm the proper inter-functionality of these 2 systems?

Thanks,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:07 PM
n00b

WestEast is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a coincidence. I was about to ask a similar question. I've always had this feature on, but never noticed what was going on during the day. It's worked fine at dusk/night. But these last months, with clear blue sky everyday, I noticed my lights were on. I eventually took it to the dealer, and under warranty, they replaced the sensor. That was last week. But I notice no change in behaviour. What I have noticed is that it does work (switch off)in certain daylight situations - and that is when the sky has cloud cover used: . Not sparse cloud, but a good 50%+ cover. When it clears, bam, the lights come ON again.

So in summary.
Lights ON - dusk, dark; and bright sun conditions.
Lights OFF - daylight with cloud.

Does this formula make sense......?? Or is the setup/sensor faulty.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
n00b

afbluesuiter is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem in my 2003 530i. The lights are on during the day. But here is an added twist. With the headlight switch on automatic, the lights turn on, go through the auto levelling test and then the right headlight turns off and I get a "Check Low Beam" warning. But when I turn the lights on manually, the right headlight functions normally.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Must be a problem in the sensor since manual control would most likely by pass that circuit section. To Brent's question, (post #1) - I think the DRL's are affecting the system voltage which in turns causes a sensor malfunction and by default, the system turns on full lights as a safety precaution.

BMW

Sig by zeaq

Last edited by witeshark; 10-21-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)