CV Boot replacement - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
cub_fever is on a distinguished road
CV Boot replacement

I have a 2001 330xi, and the other day i replaced the thermostat on the car. While underneath the car, i noticed a lot of grease around the front passenger side axle by the cv boot. This usually means a tear or leak or something in the boot. I didn't see anything and while I had the car at BMW to get the wheels aligned I had them look at it and see what they thought. They think it might be a seal or something in there. I do a lot of maintenance myself on my cars, but i have never dealt with axles before and cv boots. They wanted to the work of course, and of course it was like $400 Is this an easy job to do? I was looking online for boot sets and they are like $60-$70, a significant savings.

Also, they noticed a lot of coolant laying on the splash guard. I had just done a coolant change because i replaced the thermostat in the car so i didn't think anything of it. When the mechanic saw this, he did a pressure test and the radiator wasn't holding pressure, but he didn't see any leaks. Maybe something isn't tightened all the way? Any ideas?
cub_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
samochod50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub_fever
I have a 2001 330xi, and the other day i replaced the thermostat on the car. While underneath the car, i noticed a lot of grease around the front passenger side axle by the cv boot. This usually means a tear or leak or something in the boot. I didn't see anything and while I had the car at BMW to get the wheels aligned I had them look at it and see what they thought. They think it might be a seal or something in there. I do a lot of maintenance myself on my cars, but i have never dealt with axles before and cv boots. They wanted to the work of course, and of course it was like $400 Is this an easy job to do? I was looking online for boot sets and they are like $60-$70, a significant savings.

Also, they noticed a lot of coolant laying on the splash guard. I had just done a coolant change because i replaced the thermostat in the car so i didn't think anything of it. When the mechanic saw this, he did a pressure test and the radiator wasn't holding pressure, but he didn't see any leaks. Maybe something isn't tightened all the way? Any ideas?

I do a lot of things myself as well, but honestly, changing that silly cv joint boot requires so much more work prior to that simple reinstall that I'd think twice before doing it myself. I'd recommed getting a very good manual and reading through the procedure first. If all steps seem not too hard, I'd probably attempt it, but if it requires messing with the suspension as well, I'd probably hold off (had some rather difficult times with that stuff). Anyhow, good luck...
samochod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 06' 325i, 06' 525
Photos:
rhab325 is on a distinguished road
I've changed out the CV joint boots on other cars before, not on my 3, but it was relatively easy on every other car. Its just time consuming and make sure you clean out the bearings all the way. You dont wan to leave any debris in there. And just re pack it with grease, and youre done. Not hard at all, You Can Do It!!
rhab325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '01 330xi, '98 Q45
Photos:
KWIK6 is on a distinguished road
When the CV's are clicking when you turn right or left is it pretty much past just cleaning, packing with grease, and rebooting? I don't mind the labor part it's just that you can only purchase the assembly as a whole and that's $404 per side. I wish they had a way to just replace the outer joint.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
I can get a boot set for $12 a piece and I figure at that price it's would the trial and error.
KWIK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)