Crankcase vent valve..? HELP. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
coolcooltracy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Crankcase vent valve..? HELP.

So I was driving to get my car checked out and on the way, everytime I stopped at a stoplight and get ready to accelerate when it's green, as soon as i let off of the brake, the car starts shaking.. (kind of like as if it were a manual and i was about to stall trying to shift into 1st gear).. Well I mentioned that to BMW and they checked it out and said they couldn't duplicate it.. Well, either way I got it through to diagnostic and they said I needed my vacuum hose replaced.. so I said okay do it. Well then after they replaced it they said that they found that my crankcase valve needed to be replace (and they were gonna charge me 880 for labor and parts!! 630 for labor and 250 for parts!!) my extended warranty I purchased didnt cover it.. Well I didnt have the money for that so I went and picked up my car.. Now you see, on the way home, I noticed it was okay at stop lights.. but then after a few lights it would do it again but not as bad as before. Then I'd try again and it would be okay. IDK WHATS WRONG WITH IT! ugh! well its frustrating that its going to cost me so much to get it fixed at BMW checkeredflag so I was wondering if anyone could give advice on what may be the problem with the shaking and such, and if it is the crankcase valve, WHERE CAN I GET IT FIXED FOR CHEAPER!!! Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I think I'd really do some searching. I'm just not that sure about the explanation. In the earlier tries they can't duplicate the problem. So if it's a bent crankcase valve, what did it do, unbend during their first test? It's either bent or it's not...

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
n00b

coolcooltracy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
wait... pause! i left out a lot.. sorrrryy i appreciate you responding though, usually NO ONE does. okay, they couldnt duplicate the smoke!! it did smoke before.. and i cant really say if it was white or white with blue/grey tint.. ive only had this car since the end of february of 09 and i cant believe how much stress it's putting me through!! i got the report when i picked up my car and it says "recommended to remove intake and check for possibly leaking crankcase seperator, declined." well what they called and told me was that it needed to be replaced.. and i said no bc i cannot afford it at the moment.. would you be able to tell me if its okay to drive with my ccv needing to be replaced?? i honestly think i may be the ccv because reading up online about other ppl with ccv problems.. there is a hissing sound after i shut the engine off then a suction sound.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
In that case, I think I'd get it serviced ASAP. Maybe someone can refer you to a good garage that knows BMWs. Much work was done by such a place on my E30.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:49 PM
n00b

victorpagn is on a distinguished road
how i know the crancase vent valve is bad or going bad
#6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Smoke out of the exhaust on start up lots of it....but goes after driving a while and I dont mean the 1st thing in the morning condensation.....this is thick smoke.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 AM
ema
n00b

ema is on a distinguished road
tracy, I suggest that you just search on-line of e-Hows on CCV replacement if you really can't afford to do the thing. If you think you can do it fairly well, then DIY! There are also a lot of cheap but quality replacements like Mr Gasket Crankcase Vent Valve. I fyou don't think that's cheap enough, I suggest you go directly to ebay.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
It definitely sound like an issue with the oil separator/CCV. The CCV has been known to fail on these cars often. That would be the first place I would look.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM
n00b

maxamillion is on a distinguished road
I also went to the dealership today 1/29/10 for rough ideling it was my crank case valve also they wanted 700.00 us dollars,so with that said were can I find a diy on the crank case valve, They also said my thermostat was stuck open causing some of the problem. They said it would not hurt the motor but when it went out the car would not start
#10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
n00b

yellowistheway is on a distinguished road
Yes, I also had rough idling and the dealership said it was the crank case valve. They charged me $875 to fix it and told me it was about a 4 hour job. I know the price is high but after reading some of these threads, it is about a 4 hour job. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do it myself, but after this, I will be going to a mom and pop mechanic shop for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)