Coolant System Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Runarthor is on a distinguished road
Coolant System Problems

Hey guys, i got a 316i 99" model with the 1900cc engine, and it is giving me problems.

Before i go down to the problems let me tell you about the car's history..

A previous owner was driving it and hit a lightpole gently but the impact was enough to ruin the radiator but him being oblivius to the damage he kept on driving it and thusly overheating the engine and ruining that as well. He then sold the car and the guys that bought it decided to fix it themselves rather then take it to a licensed BMW auto shop.

Now i got the car and its been nothing but problems, its not overheating or anything but i first noticed something was wrong when the radiator light came on in the dashboard. I checked it out and there was a leak on the current radiator so i took it to an auto shop and had them replace it.

Few days pass and bam, the radiator light comes back on so i take it back to the auto shop and they discover that the water pipe ontop of the engine is leaking so i have that replaced. Now everything goes fine for some time but then history repeats itself as the light comes back on..

I take it to my own garage and inspect it myself and i see the water pipe on the back of the engine is leaking so i replace it with a new one. Finally i thought i had solved this issue but i was not so lucky, the radiator light comes back on again and i'm struggling for a while to figure out where its leaking this time. Finally i see that the expansion tank is dripping water on the side so i buy a new one today when i was replacing it i noticed the two expansion tanks i had were a bit different.

The new tank had a tap on the front which i find out is the tap for the "Heater return pipe" while my old one has no such tap nor a hose that resembles this "heater return pipe". I'm wondering if the fact that the car doesn't have this pipe might be the reason for the constant leaks, maby its causing some sort of pressure in the system or something of the kind.. Could that be?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this as i am literally tearing my hair off, oh and sorry for the long post but i just wanted all the info on here so i could maby get a definite solution for it.
Runarthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1995 BMW 325i 5 Speed
Photos:
theluis is on a distinguished road
First of all did your heater work when you first bought the car?
theluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Did you buy original equipment or not?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Runarthor is on a distinguished road
Everything seemed to be working as it should, not sure what you mean by the heater, is that the A/C or?

All the parts that were bought are OEM, at least i think so... I can't speak for the previous owners though, i have no idea what parts they bought...
Runarthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
by heater i mean the heat that comes out of your interior vents in the winter
Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004/BMW/325i
Photos:
coolcooltracy is on a distinguished road
i had a leak in my expansion tank before; i ordered the part from fcpgroton.com
coolcooltracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)