Cold Start 'tappety' Noise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:49 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Richard Lowe is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Cold Start 'tappety' Noise

Hi - I have a year 2000 318iSE with 51k on the clock. Just recently when starting the car in the mornings, particularly on cold days, for the first second or two there is an audible tappety noise. I have had this before on a VW Scirocco but there was a note in the handbook to say that this could be expected from time to time (something to do with hydraulic tappets).

In case the Beemer's engine oil was reaching the end of its life, I have had the oil and filter changed but this hasn't made any difference. The car doesn't however make the noise when leaving work later in the day after standing for say 9 hours. It only makes it in the morning when it has been standing for longer and the temperature lower but not necessarily freezing.

I have had 3 series BMWs before albeit it older version 316i's and my wife runs an E39 520i and have not experienced this problem with any of those cars.

Can anyone offer me some advice or guidance as to what is causing the noise and if I need to take some action? Thanks in anticipation.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:58 AM
n00b

Hurdle is on a distinguished road
I don't know that much about engines, but maybe it has to do with all the oil settling in the engine and when you start it up everything gets re coated with oil so the noise stops??
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
this is lifter noise. do not take action unless the car is on warranty.

the lifters have a little piston built in. this is to accomodate the forces pressing on the valvles from the camshaft. the lifters have holes, which allow fill/empty cycle, using engine oil. the holes often get plugged up with junk, so the lifters occasionally do not "pump up" in time, do not follow the cam profile, and hence produce the ticking noise. cold start (that is dense oil) is when this happens, once oil gets warm and viscosity drops, flow is restored, and everything is quiet.

ignore it.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Neutral Member

441tech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkulesza
this is lifter noise. do not take action unless the car is on warranty.

the lifters have a little piston built in. this is to accomodate the forces pressing on the valvles from the camshaft. the lifters have holes, which allow fill/empty cycle, using engine oil. the holes often get plugged up with junk, so the lifters occasionally do not "pump up" in time, do not follow the cam profile, and hence produce the ticking noise. cold start (that is dense oil) is when this happens, once oil gets warm and viscosity drops, flow is restored, and everything is quiet.

ignore it.

What he said. Couldn't have done it better myself. Hats off to you, Peter.

Officer: "I see you set the table for four."

Groucho Marx: "That's nothing--I set my alarm clock for eight."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)