BMW Werkz banner

Cold Start Problem

7K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
I looked a bit, and found similar issues but none that seemed to actually match what I am experiencing. I am going to try to be as specific as possible.

Car model: 2008 325i Coupe

My car has recently been having problems during ignition. It started happening right after I almost ran out of gas. I had stopped somewhere after the car already read ----km remaining, but the gas station was real close so once I started the car I only had to drive like 300m to the gas station. The car got there fine and the fuel pump read 16.2 gallons dispatched after refueling.

After that, anytime the cas has not been driven for 12+ hours it will not start on its own. Pressing the ignition button will cause the engine to start, then it will rev to 1000rpm, falter, and shut down. I've only ever done this more than once a couple of times. Usually I press the gas pedal like I describe next on the second attempt.

Only way to get it to start is to press the gas pedal. I only have to press it briefly to rev beyond 1000 to like 2k or so. After that the car returns to 1000, falters a bit, but regains compusure and returns to 1000.

The car is a little jumpy for a couple of 100 meters of driving, but once it warms up it drives fine for the rest of the day. Even after 8 hours of none use it is fine the same day.

The threshold seems to be around 12-15 hours, any rest that long or longer results in the problem described above.

I took it to the dealership and they could not find a problem with it. Said it was fine after a week, but I have the car again and the problem persists. One of the supervisors at the garage said that I should try running the car at heigh revs to try and clear the fuel intake and other systems in the car.

What do you all think? Any ideas what the problem might be?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the reason it's dieng upon idle is your ICV. The Idle Control Valve. When dirty or worn out it will cause the car to stall and die unless the throttle is continually depressed. This happened to my car. Replacing it fixed the problem but yours is new enough that you should start by cleaning it.

The car will flash --- on the OBC when you reach less then 15km remaining in the tank because the car can't calculate how far you have left with that little fuel. I've gotten down their a few times with no issues.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm nothing even close to a mechanic, but not entirely useless, and could conceivable do it myself it is is reasonably simple.

Do you think I could try this myself, or take it in to the shop?

Edit: Found a video on YouTube for cleaning the ICV on an E46 3 series. Should that be a good guide for cleaning mine?

#4 ·
I have to retract my statement. The E90 doesn't have an ICV apperantly. The E36 and E46 do, but not the E90. The E90 uses Valvetronic instead.

Upon further reading I have found several other people with similar issues. The most common result ion to the problem was using Techron. It's a fuel injector cleaner by Chevron. Several people reported this solved the issue for them right away. A few people reported being able to reproduce the issue for the dealership and the issue was a faulty fuel pump. Try the Techron first and see if that helps. Techron will be available at most auto parts stores, just ask the person working. Techron however is different then the rest of the fuel injector cleaners as it is the best. Don't settle for anything that does not include Techron.

If you have any other questions let me know.

#5 ·
I will try the Techron.

Reading online I also found some people saying the same that the E90 does not have an ICV.

A mechanic I know actually suggested the same thing. Using an additive to clean the engine. Seems like the best way to go for me.

After trying I'll post what my results are.

Thank you

#6 ·
I couldn't find the Techron. I even called the Chevron distributor in my country to see if they brought it at all. Turns out the only available Techron is in Texaco stations as an additive to the fuel they sell at the pump. That wasn't an option as I think I needed a more concentrated cleaner.

Alternatively, I found a Fuel Injection Cleaner by STP and tried that.

I drove the car a bit after filling up and adding the cleaner and the next day it did not give me problems. It's not given problems ever since.

I left the car parked Sunday night and this morning it started with no problems. The STP Fuel Injection Clearner seems to have done its job. I will add one more to the next tank and then use it every so often (unsure how many miles).

For the future I think I might import a small batch of the Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner to use.

Thanks to Lord Vader for the help and advice!

#7 ·
Your welcome. Glad it worked out for you. Sorry you couldnt find it. I have heard of many other guys buying it at local auto parts stores. I know its not available at any of my local stores here in Canada but i thought it was available in the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.