clutch slipping - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JimBim is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Got a problem.

My clutch slips when i drop it with high revs. For example, doing about 20mph and drop from 3rd to 2nd having reved up the engine and the clutch isn't engaging. Keep the gas on and it slips like hell. Change up a gear and put the gas on and the same happens. Normally its not a problem if i am just messing around but the other day i was in the process of overtaking going up a hill and it scared the **** out of me as the car didn't pull. The clutch just slipped on 3 gear changes.

What could this be? A friend told me it could be a hydraulic clutch and i shoudl take it in to the dealer but i wondered if it just happens to everyone?

thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a experienced a similar problem. Something has to slip when you "Dump" the clutch and in this case it is the clutch that slips not the tires. Their are a couple of options here for you, the cheapist is to not over rev the motor and to slow the shift down. You could buy an uprated clutch assembly but that can get pricey. Or live with it and burn the face of your clutch off. I belive Extech has a good story about an M5 and a clutch welded to the flywheel which is what would happen in the last scenario. I hope I have helped, I have personally always felt that on the newer BMW's that the clutch does not have as much clamping force as I like and this slipping is the result. When I need a new clutch a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch will comprise my replacement parts.
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
this is fascinating.

i took my 330ipp to the dealer to adjust the clutch pik up point (too high), they told me it was not adjustable. furthermore, the clutch feel is marginal, too much on the gooey side. the m3, however, has excellent pick up and feel.

somone said that centerforce makes no plates for bmw: who can recommend a replacement brand/part number ?

many thanks,

peter
#4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it is a non-adjustable hydraulic clutch. Turner Motorsports sells one, I'm sure Europersona can get one also. I did a little research a while ago and centerforce does not list a clutch for the e46. An upgrade would be the M3 clutch but I need to do a little more research to make sure it will fit. I think the dual mass flywheel leads to the "gooey" feel.
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
300 perf pack has a light flywheel. however, the clutch feel is identical to stock 330 in my feet.

thanks, man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)