Clutch Engagement....some Shuddering - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:57 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phatrician is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I had my clutch replaced approx less than 1000 miles ago, and just today, driving to work, right when the clutch engages, there is some shuddering that can be felt not only through the pedal, but the whole car....after it is engaged, it pulls fine, so I am hoping this is just a clutch adjustment issue.
BTW, I can feel it in every gear, and even when I downshift...happens every time the clutch hits the point of engagement.

Any thoughts?

2001 330i Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 11:21 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
funny. when i changed my clutch last year, i had the same kind of problem but only for a short while. now when the clutch is fully down to the floor, i get a very slight shudder. i dont know what it is, but most people say that in a bimmer once you replace the original clutch it never reallly feels exactly the same. ive had no problems as far as the mechanics of the clutch. but i was like you and did wonder about the shuddering.

my suggestion is to keep an eye on it for a while, if it seems to increase than , i would probably take it back to the place that did it and ask them to diagnose the problem

..... oh before i forget. are you the only one driving the car? i only ask because to replace a clutch on a 99 is rather early. so im curious as to the driving habits of the car.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 03:54 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yes, I am the only one driving the car, but I did get it used.
And I didn't break it, either....I had it in the bodyshop for an accident it was in, then they test drove it at some point, and whoever test drove it, broke it.
So they replaced it for me, and I have had it back for 3 weeks, and it just started this shuddering crap.

2001 330i Sport
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 12:34 AM
n00b

dclaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dclaw
I had this exact problem when my car was brand new (04 325i)
it started around 1000 miles or so, and over the next 500 miles got the the point where it would almost stall the car.... and for some reason it was always worse when it had been running for a while, but it had to be cold out... never figured that out.... anyway, I toook it into the dealer, in the morning of course and the car was still relatively cold, and they didn't notice any problems, so of course told me that it was fine....

after that though, it starting getting better... no more near-stalling problems, etc... and over the next several thousand miles, it nearly disappeared. I now have nearly 23k on it, and haven't had problems that I've noticed since before 10k....

so, I think that it is just an issue with the type of clutch they are using.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it causes you major problems
#5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
stock clutch plate or not???

this seems like the springs (the little springs along the circumference of the plate, not the clamping spring) that are supposed to absorb the initial shudder on the engagement are either too weak or too strong.

i'd venture a NON oem part installed.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
oh btw, this clutch is entirely self adjusting as far as the engagement point and force of slave/master.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I haven't taken it in yet...seems like it is actually getting worse...I have done some research, it could be due to glazing on the clutch plate, or any type of fluid left on the plate when it was installed...I haven't driven it like a madman or anything that might cause glazing, so maybe non OEM? Perhaps, maybe clumsy install? Perhaps....I am going to take it back to them next Monday...there's a ton of things they need to fix, because of rushed or sloppy work, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with the clutch.
These are the guys that has the car for 11 months 19 days after I was in an accident...who the hell knows what took them so long to fix...so they obviously suck, so they now get to keep it for even longer to fix what they should have already.
ghead

2001 330i Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)