BMW Werkz banner

Clown Nose (lock) turn signals come on ?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TheSuspensionSource 
#1 ·
Hello, I own a BMW 03 325i :rule. Anyway I have a red bulb under my rearview mirror, which I think it is called "clown nose" I am wondering how I can get it to blink, and how I can get my turn signals to light up when I lock the car. I called the dealer and asked him to tell me my features of the car. Which he did, and the car is prewired for the alarm, but I do not have it. So he told me that only way I can have it on is if I had the alarm. I know that, that is a lie because my friend has it on and he does not have an alarm. Does anybody know how to program the key for the light to come on and my turn signals when I lock the car?

#2 ·
The red bulb is factory installed regardless of alarm. You can have it set to have the turn signals come on and flash when you lock the car. That is a European style to have them flash. However you have to have someone with the appropriate software and knowledge to do it. It requires going into the computer and changing some settings. Which is best left to a professional.The dealership might not do it and of they do they will charge you tons of money to do it. Find a reputable BMW shop to see of they can do it.

#3 ·
This May be useful, its for an E90 mirror and may be similar to the E46. Make sure the person is a well qualified electrician and tests each wire before hooking ANYTHING up. I take no responsibility in the info provided, its simply quoted from another forum.

I remember when hooking mine up while i was installing my homelink rearview mirror and it was very dim, but that was running off of my Compustar alarm not a factory installed one.

(11/2/09 at 8:36pm) Anybody know what pin 1 thur 10 on the mirror side is? I just got my retro harness. Mine has 4 wires plus a gnd.

(11/3/09 at 1:07am) Never mind. I found my answer. Here are the pin outs that worked for me.

Pin
1 + Reverse
2 Not used
3 + Switched
4 Not used
5 Not used
6 Not used
7 Not used
8 + from alarm LED
9 - from alarm LED
10 - Ground
DIY: HomeLink + auto dimming rear view mirror retrofit. - Page 2 - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.