Cleaning Abs Sensor (ring) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jisang1 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey all,

Anyone have any luck cleaning the Rear ABS Sensor Ring? Sometimes when the rings get dirty they cause the ABS, BRAKE and TRACTION light to trip (i.e. a failure of the ABS system). I read on other forums that this happens when the sensors get dirty. My Inspection II at the dealership confirmed this diagnosis, but I would rather clean the sensors myself rather than pay BMW more than the $600 I paid last week for Inspection II and Brake and Coolant Flush....

Thanks,
jisang1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Because the sensor is magnetic it is actually normal for them to attract metal dust and dirt. Theyre always dirty. You can try cleaning and cross your fingers. Unfortunately what is most common on these cars is control module problems. Hopefully thats not it in your case.
DT

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem.
The three lights would come on and off here and there.
I flushed the brake fluid myself and the lights haven't come back on.
Not sure if they could sense the brake fluid needed changing.
The car was 3 years old when I changed the fluid, you are supposed to change it every 2 years.
I bought the brake fluid bleeding tool at trackhaus.com
Cost me around $60, and I flushed the entire system.

http://www.trackhaus.com

Good luck!
#4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW330iRob@Mar 9 2005, 01:08 PM
I had the same problem.
The three lights would come on and off here and there.
I flushed the brake fluid myself and the lights haven't come back on.
Not sure if they could sense the brake fluid needed changing.
The car was 3 years old when I changed the fluid, you are supposed to change it every 2 years.
I bought the brake fluid bleeding tool at trackhaus.com
Cost me around $60, and I flushed the entire system.

http://www.trackhaus.com

Good luck!
[snapback]307241[/snapback]
Thanks for the info. How long has it been since you did the flush? I ask because I am wondering if it has been long enough since you did the flush for the lights to come back on.

I had the Brake Flush and Coolant flush done at the dealership last week. However, the three lights STILL came on last night. However, the dealership 'forgot' to do many of the items on the Inspection 2, so it is entirely possible that they 'forgot' to do the flushes as well. Is there any way to tell if a Brake Flush and Coolant Flush was recently done on my car?

I am taking my car back to the dealership in a week, so that they can do a FREE re-service. If there is any way to ensure that the flushes were done, please let me know, and I will check. If they have NOT been done, there will be some hell when I go to the dealer next week.
Thanks,
#5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
There really is no way of finding out whether or not the brake fluid was changed completely without doing it yourself.
Sometimes dealerships might just check the fluid at the reservoir, top it up if it needs it and say they changed it...or just bleed a little fluid from each brake and then top up the reservoir.
Its a messy job without the correct tools and mechanics might do it half @ss just to say its done.
Lets face it its not their car and they don't know you.
That is why I prefer to do it myself I know that it is completely changed.

Also when I changed my brake fluid I also did an oil change and reset the Oil Service Indicator, that might have reset the three lights as well.
Basically I did all the maintenance I could myself not thinking that it would correct the lights, however they all went out and have stayed out the last 6 months since I did the service.

I included the following info on how to reset your service indicator after you do an oil change.
Good luck!

RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW330iRob@Mar 10 2005, 04:19 PM

If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.
[snapback]308172[/snapback]

Just saw this info....I was wondering what the DANGERS of resetting the service indicator myself are. My car is a CPO BMW with 59500 miles. I think the Inspection is coming up.....Are there any dangers of using the above procedure to reset the indicator so that I just need to go in for an oilchange at 60K miles? Do you think I will need an Inspection at 60K miles anyways?

Thanks
#7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:50 PM
n00b

STEP child is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jisang1+Apr 17 2005, 07:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jisang1 @ Apr 17 2005, 07:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-2001BMW330iRob@Mar 10 2005, 04:19 PM

[snapback]308172[/snapback]

Just saw this info....I was wondering what the DANGERS of resetting the service indicator myself are. My car is a CPO BMW with 59500 miles. I think the Inspection is coming up.....Are there any dangers of using the above procedure to reset the indicator so that I just need to go in for an oilchange at 60K miles? Do you think I will need an Inspection at 60K miles anyways?

Thanks
[snapback]333776[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

there are no dangers in reseting the oil service light. it is for the driver to know when the oil service is due. you can reset it whenever you want, just keep a mental note of when the oil service is due thats all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)