Check Engine + Missing -ALREADY NEW COILS? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dave325xi is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Check Engine + Missing -ALREADY NEW COILS?

Help! 2003 325xi, 100K miles - My check engine light comes on and the engine misses when the engine is cold. When ithappens, usually goes away after 20 or 30 minutes. Does not always happen - happens more often when it's damp out or the car has been sitting a couple of days. Already replaced the plugs and all 6 coils! Getting frustrated. Wife says I shouldn't have bought the car but I love it!. Anyway, what's my next best bet - I refuse to go to a dealer yet and pay their exhorbitant rates. Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
You may wanna check the intake boot for cracks (this was the issue on my E30).

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for such a quick response!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 PM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Do you have an OBDII scanner? If not, many places, autozone, etc will scan a car for free. If its a BMW specific code, some scanners can still read the code just not tell you what it is or clear it.

Check your ECU for codes before trying to shotgun problems with 96+ cars.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the suggestion - I found a local one man shop, a fellow who specializes in BMWs. He's pretty young but he seems to know his way around the cars. He has scanned it a couple of times but it always showed a cylinder misfire. That's why we replaced the coils. I'll check the intake boot for cracks (assuming I can figure out which one it is). I've also heard that the MAF can be an issue but I haven't checked on what that is yet. As you can tell this is my first BMW. But I'm learning fast.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Get the specific code and post it here.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 AM
n00b

BMWho is on a distinguished road
Hi Dave325xi,

interested to hear if you resolved your issue??
I 've had the same problem on my 2005 318Ci coils changes 3 time by BMW dealer, I asked them to check fuel and power systems but they said the codes were 'serveral misfires' and 'faulty coil number x' so no need to check those.....
I eventually brought it to ex BMW guy who put in long life plugs and new coils, he says this always cures the fault with these engines. However cold snap in Ireland recently resulted in 4-6 misfires always on idle. The car is with him now so if he finds something I'll post. This seems common but not so the fix!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi BMWho,
My thermostat went out - no passenger compartment heat and the temp here was about -10 deg F - so I had my guy replace it. When he did he noticed something was loose - maybe the intake boot?, not sure - he tightened it and since then I've not had a repeat. Plus I had the "check engine" light on for like a year steady and now it's been out since he tightened it. Not sure if that helps much.

2003 - 325xi
The race is never won in the first turn.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 AM
n00b

Hi,

Great relief to get it sorted I'm sure, such an annoying fault! Would love to know what it is that he fixed . . .
I was told a wiring loom maybe have been at fault so I'll wait and see...

Thanks for getting back to me anyway, happy motoring!
#11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
So, it happened again today The car sat for 3 days. When I started it this morning (it was about 10 Deg F) it ran really rough, missing terribly for 3 blocks and the CEL came on again. The interesting thing is that usually, when I shut off the car and immediatelty restart it the missing goes away. It's like the computer is detecting a miss and cutting out that cylinder and when I shut off and restart the engine the cylinder is allowed to fire again. Very strange.

2003 - 325xi
The race is never won in the first turn.
#12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 AM
n00b

Nothing worse than an intermittent fault!!
The guy who is looking at my car, unlike the BMW dealerships before him, checked the feeds to the coils and discovered faulty lead to 'cylinder 2' which is the one that kept coming up faulty. This is something I directly requested BMW to do after the second failure - however the computer never told them to check that so they couldn't
Anyway, rant over, the car is starting and performing much better!! I hope this is the end of it but as you have just experienced this fault is a strange one. I await the next cold snap or when the car has not been used for a few days for the real test, finger crossed!
Hope this helps....
#13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 AM
n00b

Nothing worse than an intermittent fault!!
The guy who is looking at my car, unlike the BMW dealerships before him, checked the feeds to the coils and discovered faulty lead to 'cylinder 2' which is the one that kept coming up faulty. This is something I directly requested BMW to do after the second failure - however the computer never told them to check that so they couldn't
Anyway, rant over, the car is starting and performing much better!! I hope this is the end of it but as you have just experienced this fault is a strange one. I await the next cold snap or when the car has not been used for a few days for the real test, finger crossed!
Hope this helps....
#14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:06 PM
n00b

I was doing some research on radiator lights and loss of coolant and realised I never posted the results of a long road of intermittent misfires and faulty coils, apologies for that!!

In short a faulty breader valve was discovered and I THANKFULLY haven't seen the engine warning light since and fuel consumption is better, obviously!! Hopefully this may help someone else with this fault.

Now back to coolant loss research!

Safe motoring!
#15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
OMFG another one!?

Thanks for keeping us posted!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)