Cheapest Shocks - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Needlesharp is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Cheapest Shocks

Yay so I got the bimmer finally running and cleared all the codes! Car runs beautifully. Here is the original thread:
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...elp-60819.html

I ended up replacing the Crankcase Vent Valve and the four hoses connected to it. The hoses were leaking VERY bad. The valve cover gasket was also leaking so bad that it was causing issues with the car in addition to oil leaking. So the car is getting close to being finished with only the A/C to work on and suspension.

What is the cheapest suspension I can get away with? The struts are shot and definitely need to be replaced but do I really need to go ahead and replace the springs as well? I don't really want performance suspension because I want the ride as smooth as possible (no going to be racing it around) but mainly I want the cheapest that won't shit out on me.

Being that these are 1/3 of the price of everthing else, I'm guessing they are complete shit? Lol help me out here guys!
GABRIEL-SHOCKS-STRUTS-$230 shipped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
n00b

Bimmermann is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

You get what you pay for. If the springs have not taken a set, and I don't think they did, you don't need to change them. As for shocks, go to a trusted store and tell them what they recommend for a soft ride, and how long they would last at a budget. Then buy what you wish, where you wish. Gabriel is a known name in shocks, but I'd choose Monroe's. All the brands, have several levels of quality. Just keep the tire pressure right, and the car aligned; this will keep your suspension healthy.

Cheers, Bim.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
what do you mean by taking a set on the springs? The car sits pretty low and I know the springs are the originals (have 200k miles on them). I don't want to spend more than $400 on the suspension if possible. If I can get away with decent strust/shocks for that and keep the springs then awesome. Or if you are saying that Gabriel set is decent I will most likely just go with that.

Thanks!
#4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Get a set of Bilstein shocks and call it a day don't waste your money on something poor, because you get what you pay for. Your springs should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 02:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The only reason why I even bothered asking about some lower end shocks is because I won't be keeping the car for more than a year so if they shit out in 5 years I don't really care lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)