Changing Stereo head unit in E46 with HK... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
2001BMW330iRob is an unknown quantity at this point
With a better head unit!

I really want to install this Kenwood:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KGuatilzcIH/c...&display=XL#Tab

I believe Crutchfield supplies the Scosche face plate and wiring harness for free:

http://www.scosche.com/scosche/insta...its/BW2320.asp

I am really getting tired of the BMW head unit. It looks like crap and the sound from the HK speakers is not the greatest.
Seeing as HK speakers are better than Infinity as they own Infinity, I figure the system could sound a lot better with a cleaner deck with built in cross-overs, a built in equilizer, etc.
Does anyone have a link to someone who changed out the factory deck?
I am not interested in a MP-3 changer in the back the problem is in the front!
Thanks,
Rob
2001BMW330iRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
woobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
check my cardomain page.

www.cardomain.com/id/woobiee

woobiee - Anamorphic Cycle
woobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Did you notice a big difference in sound with the new deck?
Also how does the deck look up close as compared to the original?
Does it look out of place at all?
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
woobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond reputewoobiee has a reputation beyond repute
did you check my page? (more interior pics on page two) the buttons on the headunit are amber which match the interior.

sound was def better.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I saw the pic, looks fine.
Just a little dark and far away, it's just friends of mine told me if I replace the factory deck the dash will not look right.
What do you think, up close does the dash look better after the install?
I had a feeling the speakers are awesome but the factory deck doesn't do them justice.
Did you install the deck yourself, if so how easy was it to complete.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
What makes you think that HK speakers will be better than Infinity because Harmon Int'l owns Infinity? That is like saying that all GM cars are better than all Mercedes Benz because GM owns MB. GM also owns Hyundai!!!

Even infinity reference series speakers will sound better than the HK rip offs provided in the HK extortion upgrade.

In my ionion, BMW should be ashamed of it's self with regard to the sound systems in their cars.
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
im totally satisfied with everything. looks and sounds great.

i had 'tweeter' install all my stuff

Old 08-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB...We are talking about factory speakers here!
Whether or not you can buy better aftermarket speakers is another story.
The fact of the matter is Harmon Kardon owns Infinity, thats why they install HK speakers in BMW, Mercedes, Audis etc and install Infinity speakers in GM, Chrysler, and Ford.
The factory HK speakers are top of the line, the deck is the weak spot!
Many people think its the other way around, this cannot be further from the truth.
Start with a great head unit and build from there!
I have a 318i as well and changed out the factory deck and didnt touch the speakers, it was like I install 4 new top of the line speakers.
I can tell the HK speakers are top of the line, the deck has to be replaced to clean them up!
I also spoke to a stereo installer who told me the HK speakers are top grade and tells anyone who wants to change them out to spend they're money on the deck!
Only problem is when you change the deck it becomes a target!
I don't want anyone breaking into my car to get the stereo
Old 08-27-2004, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Silly me, I have been wrong all these years!

Yeah right.
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
jaavaajoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting discussion ya'll got going on here...

Question- To Woobiee and all- How much control do you lose of the various functions of the factory head unit (setting the car clock, changing the setting for the system that varies your sound level based on your speed/noise level in the car, and any other features that I can't think of right now)?

Also, FYI
Hyundai recently tied Toyota for second place in a JD Power Initial Quality Survey. And to my knowledge, GM doesn't own MB. MB is a major stock holder in Chrsyler (Daimler-Chrysler). Whatever, I guess the point is: some companies are hungry and scratching their way up the ladder (Hyundai) and others are just downright complacent (GM).

2002 330i Titanium Silver w/ Sport-Premium</span>

jaavaajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
steering wheel controls are gone (but easily fixed wth a new adaptor which i havent gotten around to install yet)

all e46 clock adjustment is in the gauge cluster so that is not affected. audio settings were fine. i had 3 way crossovers installed so that might have something to do with it.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
edesilva is an unknown quantity at this point
I just ordered an '05 330Ci and replacing the stereo would be relatively high on my list of things to do *if* I don't lose any functionality off the dash and retain the steering wheel controls. On my other car (Jeep ZJ), there is no way of setting the clock if you remove the factory radio. There also weren't any reliable interfaces for retaining the steering wheel trk+/- and vol+/- buttons, which I really came to like. So, woobiee, I'd love to hear where you saw one and about any feedback when and if you install it.
edesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fiSoTkZopQV/c..._info&i=127SWIX

its $70 bucks. It basically is a 'remote' that is wired to your steering wheel buttons. you install the remote sensor somewhere near the headunit and basically when you push a steering wheel button, it is just like pushing a remote controller button.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mlomker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mlomker
I just spent some money on a Soundgate XM setup for my '01 325xi so I'm not going to be ditching the stock head yet. I just ordered CDT HD's for the front and an Alpine F420 amp.

This is the first time that I've heard someone say that the stock speakers were worth anything...including numerous installers that I've spoken with. I have the non-HK system and the speakers definitely had to go.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
hnhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Woobie,

From your site, you specify to remove the sub and add the screws. So, how do you get bass? I also noticed with the stock HK system that there weren't enough treb either. Any suggestion? Thanks.
hnhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)