Carbon Fibre Brake Pads - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: yes
Photos:
zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Guys ! Has anybody had any experience with carbon fiber brake pads, how are they, any problem like noise, harsh on rotors or other issue? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
Ceramic Composite brakes are reallly really expensive.
Live_the_Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Live_the_Curves@Jun 30 2005, 10:06 PM
Ceramic Composite brakes are reallly really expensive.
[snapback]358759[/snapback]
Actually this one I am talking about are not, it costs $80 canadian, which is about $65 us and they are carbon fiber not ceramic( two diff. thing), they are made by KVR Performance.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
email tirerack. i never used them, but i hear they are bad cold, so not suitable for street. but i may be wrong....
peterkulesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Jul 2 2005, 12:59 PM
email tirerack. i never used them, but i hear they are bad cold, so not suitable for street. but i may be wrong....
[snapback]359129[/snapback]
Thanks Peter !
Old 07-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by zibby+Jul 2 2005, 11:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zibby @ Jul 2 2005, 11:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-peterkulesza@Jul 2 2005, 12:59 PM
email tirerack.* i never used them, but i hear they are bad cold, so not suitable for street.* but i may be wrong....
[snapback]359129[/snapback]
Thanks Peter !
[snapback]359141[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

generally speaking, the higher the coefficient of friction of a pad, the more abrasive it is to the rotor, and the lower the rotors life with be.

you really just need to find out what the temperature ratings are for your brake pad, tells you alot about the dynamics of the brake pad.

i use EBC greenstuffs and love them.. they can be a little scary if you cruise on the highway for a long distance and suddenly have to hit the brakes because on first pedal application they dont do anything.. then about a second later(seems like a year) they GRIP. HARD.

but generally city driving they are fine.

more agressive pad materials do generally need to be at least a little warm to be effective.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
so true.

i picked hawk hp plus. they have a stock bite when cold, and are vastly better when warmed up (usable on track). noisy as hell though. i vouch for this pad. better than ferodo i used in the past.

hawk hps is no different than stock compound to me, despite their advertising. i tired it, and was dissapointed. tire rack credited all my purchases when i returned the pads (claiming only that "i don't like them"), no ?? asked. so i matched pads to what i liked, and came aways completely satisfied. if you email one of their reps, they tend to be understanding about this kind of stuff.
peterkulesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Jul 4 2005, 12:41 PM
so true.

i picked hawk hp plus. they have a stock bite when cold, and are vastly better when warmed up (usable on track). noisy as hell though. i vouch for this pad. better than ferodo i used in the past.

hawk hps is no different than stock compound to me, despite their advertising. i tired it, and was dissapointed. tire rack credited all my purchases when i returned the pads (claiming only that "i don't like them"), no ?? asked. so i matched pads to what i liked, and came aways completely satisfied. if you email one of their reps, they tend to be understanding about this kind of stuff.
[snapback]359528[/snapback]
Hi Guys ! I found recently, that those carbon fiber have no" warming up" period ( At least KVR Performance claiming that !)
Old 07-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by zibby+Jul 4 2005, 12:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zibby @ Jul 4 2005, 12:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-peterkulesza@Jul 4 2005, 12:41 PM
so true.

i picked hawk hp plus.* they have a stock bite when cold, and are vastly better when warmed up (usable on track). noisy as hell though. * i vouch for this pad.* better than ferodo i used in the past.

hawk hps is no different than stock compound to me, despite their advertising.* i tired it, and was dissapointed.* tire rack credited all my purchases when i returned the pads (claiming only that "i don't like them"), no ?? asked.* so i matched pads to what i liked, and came aways completely satisfied.* if you email one of their reps, they tend to be understanding about this kind of stuff.
[snapback]359528[/snapback]
Hi Guys ! I found recently, that those carbon fiber have no" warming up" period ( At least KVR Performance claiming that !)
[snapback]359550[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

neither do alot of other pads. they still do, even though they are advertised as they dont. if they require NO heating period, they will probably fade fast as temps rise from repeated /downhill braking

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)