BMW Werkz banner

car still wont stay running

21K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  KamD450 
#1 ·
Hello, im a new member here and i have a issue that i just cant get the answer to. my problem is my wifes 325i has a eml light lit, when she starts the car it cuts right off. sometimes it idles up and down like its trying but it always dies. we have gotten the battery charged, changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, cleaned the MAF and changed the fuel pump relay. we are stumped, any help would be great. PLEASE!

#3 ·
Im guessing either a vacuum leak or your ICV has gone bad. When my ICV went bad he car would start fine, but it would idle wierd and would die unless i constantly gave it throttle. Its possible to clean the ICV before full out replacing it.

#4 · (Edited)
just checked my vacuum lines yesterday, no problem, also while i was at it i cleaned the icv good and will be putting it back in today. ill let everyone know how it goes.
i also heard it could be my crank sensor, so my best bet would be to pull the codes but it wont make it to autozone.

#5 ·
Some places will loan you a scanner. Usually paying for it on CC and then getting the cost back when you return it.

#7 ·
What do they start with? P, B?

P0171/174-Lean Bank 1 & Bank 2. Unless the car has been fitted with an oiled air filter the MAF is not likely to be the problem and should be the last thing considered. The more likely candiates are aged pre-cat O2 sensors (useful life is 80-90kmi), intake leak, or failed CCV. Those are the areas to check first.

P0011 - BMW-FC: 33. PCode Text: 'A' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1). Usually a faulty sensor, however this can also be cused by the VANOS solenoid failing. VANOS controls the cam timing and if not working correctly can cause over timing.

P0442 - Oxygen Sensors (O2S) or Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) need to reach a minimum operating temperature of 750 degrees F to produce an accurate voltage signal. The faster the heated oxygen sensor reaches that temperature the faster the sensor will start sending an accurate signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors.

P2237-O2 Sensor Positive Current Circuit/Open (Bank 1 Sensor 1).

So basically, all these codes indicate a failed O2 sensor, and either a CPS or a VANOS issue.

#8 ·
all of the codes start with a "P".
the car wont stay running for more then 3 seconds. do you have any ideas how i can find out if the codes will come back without actually driving the car? now that i have the codes and i did some research but i dont know where to start. new gaskets for DISA valve and MAP, changing oil, ( which i realized that car had NO oil in it at all?????) , changing o2 sensor inspecting fuel line and exspansion tank for cracks, and/or charcoal cannister,( because i smell fuel whenever i fill the car pass a half tank), and take the hoses from the air filter to the throttle body back off and inspecting again.

#9 ·
did a little more digging and it was said that the lean codes can come from a vacuum leak from the air filter to the throttle body, which includes the gaskets and ring in the DISA and MAF. the camshaft code can come from i guess the camshaft needing to be changed and/or something to do with the oil. the evap code can come from a leak in the fuel system, and the o2 code is i guess the o2 needs to be changed..... not trying to be a smart ass or wiz but i was just wondering if these accusations are accurate.

also, i just changed the fuel pump and the fuel filter so now im wondering if i put them on right. again thx for all the help. god knows i need it.

#10 ·
The car had no oil in it? Yikes. Modern engines can (but shouldnt) be ran temporarily with no oil. Do you know why their was no oil?

If your smelling gas check the filler neck leading to the gas tank. Its just plastic so it could deteriorate over time.

You should be able to hear the fuel pump with the seats removed. You would need a frend to start the car for you but when you turn the car on you shold be able to hear it.

#12 ·
Change the fuel filter if you haven't already. You would be shocked at the gunk that comes out.

#14 ·
As in when you put the new pump in you may have put them backwards?

#15 ·
I had the same problem, I know you said you checked the vacuum lines, check the one from the throttle boot to the IAC motor or ICV, sometimes it is worn by the boot and needs replacing, or just needs to be pushed into the throtthe boot, the throttle boot could be word and brittle and causing false and and a leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.