Car Shopping.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:59 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
classic911 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Looking at some new cars and here is my short list:

BMW 330i Sedan-would like SMG with sport & cold weather package
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti G35
Saab 9-5 Aero
Jaguar 3.0 X-Type w/sport package

Obviously I'm expecting everyone on this board to be biased but I'm leaning towards the 330-

As I do keep (and maintain) my autos, how has this BMW ranked, especially in terms of reliabilty and the SMG gearbox?

Thank you all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:58 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I would have to drive the heck out of a G35 before I could guiltlessly buy a 330. Regardless, I would buy the coupe version of either car, so contemplating the sedans makes a bit more difiicult. Comparing those, I would have a very hard time turning down a 330i with the ZHP. Might take that over the G35 sedan even with the aero kit.

The others are closing the gap, but I would honestly say have a bit to go.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Neutral Member

Aloyouis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jan 22 2005, 03:58 AM
I would have to drive the heck out of a G35 before I could guiltlessly buy a 330. Regardless, I would buy the coupe version of either car, so contemplating the sedans makes a bit more difiicult. Comparing those, I would have a very hard time turning down a 330i with the ZHP. Might take that over the G35 sedan even with the aero kit.

The others are closing the gap, but I would honestly say have a bit to go.
[snapback]276616[/snapback]
Ironically, I have driven all of them. I would go 330 but you are correct, I am biased. The next best thing (and it is a very,very,very close second) is the CTS. In fact, I am experiencing some serious problems with my 325 at 75k that are worrisome enough that the 2006 325 purchase is less certain . I amplanning a visit to re-drive the CTS Tuesday. I may decide to go that way myself unless Erhard works some miracles while they have mine in for service..........
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:04 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
Quote:
Originally posted by classic911@Jan 22 2005, 12:59 AM
Looking at some new cars and here is my short list:

BMW 330i Sedan-would like SMG with sport & cold weather package
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti G35
Saab 9-5 Aero
Jaguar 3.0 X-Type w/sport package

Obviously I'm expecting everyone on this board to be biased but I'm leaning towards the 330-

As I do keep (and maintain) my autos, how has this BMW ranked, especially in terms of reliabilty and the SMG gearbox?

Thank you all!!!
[snapback]276610[/snapback]
The 330Ci would be more sporty especially in the manual...but the SMG in the 330i is a good choice...they are really reliable, easy to use and fast.

The 330i is very sporty and fun to drive. What would make it even better is making it an AWD....trust me and ask others how they feel about 330xi.....but I'm not sure if it comes in SMG.

BUT....the CTS and the G35 6MT are other good possibilities as well.

It is a toss up...

I wouldn't even bother with the Saab, and the Jaguars ALWAYS are very unrelaible....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)